We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upcoming May trip -- and bus travel

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,313 posts
185 reviews
Save Topic
Upcoming May trip -- and bus travel

My hotels are all booked for my return trip in May -- my 13th but Brett's first return visit since 1999! This will be a little shorter and focused on cities (except for our two days at the Beresheet Hotel on the lip of the Makhtesh Ramon -- a HUGE splurge for me, but I'm spoiling Brett). So I think that like the last trip, I will do this all with public transportation and forgo a rental car. I need to save some money somewhere to pay for the Beresheet! :-)

On a Thursday, I will need to get from Mitzpe Ramon to Jerusalem. Would www.bus.co.il be my best bet? And do people have a sense about how far out those routes and times are accurate? If you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thanks, and have a great weekend!

Douglas Duckett

1. Re: Upcoming May trip -- and bus travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:44 am, February 03, 2014
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,040 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Upcoming May trip -- and bus travel

As we say all the time on the forum--that is the only site that includes all companies! Since you don't know which company serves a given area--it is definitely the place to start. If you find it is egged, then their website is easier, IMO, to use.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,233 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Upcoming May trip -- and bus travel

Mitzpe Ramon to Jerusalem: Mitzpe to Beersheva is served by frequent buses (route number 60) operated by a company called Metropoline (which doesn't have an English website).

From Beersheva to Jerusalem, Egged route 470 is the fastest.

You will find all this on www.bus.co.il. The site is reliable.

Beersheva has a big bus station, recently upgraded and rebuilt, with plenty of facilities and eating places, if you are interested, so if you just miss a 470 you can have a coffee and/or something to eat while you are waiting.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,254 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Upcoming May trip -- and bus travel

You will need to take the Metroplin bus from Mitzpeh Ramon (line 65) to Beer Sheva and then Egged 470 to Jerusalem. The trip will take about 3 hours or so depending on if you have good connections.

Chana

Israel

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,233 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Upcoming May trip -- and bus travel

Interesting... it's been 60 for as long as I can remember, so I didn't even bother to check it. But I see there is also the 65, and there are more buses on route 65 than route 60. And there is also, in addition, plus and as well as... the 64.

Douglas, just get whichever one comes first!

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,542 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Upcoming May trip -- and bus travel

You can also download a newish Hebrew language app for your smartphone called Moovit, which is like Waze for public transport - from any given location, it tells you what public transport to use to get to another location, with timings etc. When the app was new it was a bit unreliable, but when I've used it recently it has been spot on at predicting the arrival of normal urban buses, as well as integrating the timetables of public transport. NB so far I have only used it for Egged buses and the train; it also lists other bus companies (including the East Jerusalem lines) but I haven't had a chance to check the accuracy of the info.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,313 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Upcoming May trip -- and bus travel

This is enormously helpful, folks -- thanks! I'm not 100% sure I'm going to do this segment of the trip by bus -- I may rent a car for this part -- but this has been very helpful.

I assume if I take two lines, a Metropoline to Beer Sheva and an Egged to Jerusalem, I would buy the Metropoline ticket in Be'er Sheva and then at the Be'er Sheva station, buy an Egged ticket to Jerusalem?

Thanks again!

Douglas Duckett

Edited: 5:37 am, January 31, 2014
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,782 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Upcoming May trip -- and bus travel

No - what you should do, which is all anyone needs to do for any bus ride (except for Eilat buses) is to buy your ticket from the driver when you board the bus - that way you do not limit your options -sometimes there are buses that are run by more than one company for the same route (not in this case) and this way you only need to pay when you know you are getting on the bus. It costs the same and saves the time and hassle of waiting on an additional line.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,233 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Upcoming May trip -- and bus travel

Yes, you are right about the bus tickets, except that I think you meant to say that you would buy the Metropoline ticket in Mitzpe Ramon, not in Beersheva! There are no combined tickets that you can buy for the whole journey. Beersheva has a proper bus station, whereas Mitzpe Ramon has only a few bus stops scattered around the town (the buses stop at all of them) so there is nowhere to buy tickets before you get on the bus. Buying tickets on the bus in Beersheva is actually easier than buying them at the ticket window, because apart from saving time by not having to queue up, there are several ticket windows since each bus company has a separate one.

In any case, you can buy tickets for all bus journeys anywhere in the country on the bus itself (with the exception of those to and from Eilat when you get on at the start or end point).

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,313 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Upcoming May trip -- and bus travel

I forgot that -- thank you! Though I must admit that in pricing cars from Eldan, I'm now rethinking this -- I could rent a car in Haifa, drive to Mitzpe Ramon, keep in while there, and drive to Jerusalem and drop it off for only $91 USD. (I was going to have Adam Sela pick us up from the train in Be'er Sheva and tour us for a half day, but I'm rethinking this plan.) When I look at the cost of two train tickets plus two bus tickets from Mitzpe Ramon to Jerusalem, I'm thinking this may not make much sense -- as much as I enjoy going by train from Haifa to Be'er Sheva.

But you have given me both options and solid information, and I thank you!

Douglas Duckett

P.S. To complete the calculation, what would the tickets for two from Mitzpe Ramon to Jerusalem likely cost?