We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiring a driver from Jerusalem to Eilat

Evansville, Indiana
4 posts
Save Topic
Hiring a driver from Jerusalem to Eilat

My husband and I plan to visit Petra after our 10 day guided tour of Israel ends. I have contacted a tour company in Jordan, and their driver and tour guide can pick us up in Aqaba on Saturday after we have crossed the border at Eilat. Our dilemma is how to get from Jerusalem to Eilat so that we can meet our Jordanian guide/driver. Is it possible to hire a driver to drive us to Eilat? If so, can our hotel in Jerusalem make those arrangements, or should we contact some one prior to our departure from the U.S.? Am I correct that a visa to Jordan can be acquired upon arrival at the Eilat/Aqaba crossing? We would like to arrive in Jordan fairly early in the day, so that we will have time for a jeep tour of Wadi Rum before heading to our hotel near Petra.

Any advice or help that anyone can provide would be much appreciated!

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,421 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiring a driver from Jerusalem to Eilat

Are you realizing Eilat is 4 to 5 hours drive from Jerusalem?

Since you're indiciating you want to get to Jordan on Saturday morning, I would strongly recommend getting to Eilat the day before (Friday) and stay 1 night at an Eilat hotel.

Getting from Jerusalem to Eilat:

1) taxi ride - 1352 NIS (1679 NIS during weekend) - 4-5 hours

2) a flight - just less than an hour flight time (+ 40 minutes to shuttle to the airport in a private taxi for 257 NIS)

3) a bus (not running on Shabbat, last bus on Friday departs at 14:00) for 78 NIS a person

I would go for a flight. It is much cheaper than a taxi and shorter!

Otherwise, a taxi ride should be called a few hours in advance and a bus ticket should be reserved a few days in advance.

The Israeli airlines that fly to Eilat:

EL AL http://www.elal.co.il

Israir http://www.israirairlines.com

Arkia http://www.arkia.com

Other questions:

US passport holders can get a visa upon arrival to Jordan at the Eilat/Aqaba crossing.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,724 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiring a driver from Jerusalem to Eilat

I agree, a flight would be the best. For the taxi I would ask your hotel to make arrangements the day before. I do not think every cabbie is going to want to drive back and forth to Eilat with no advance notice. You are talking 8-10 hours for the cabbie.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,696 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiring a driver from Jerusalem to Eilat

You can check bus schedules at:

…egged.co.il/eggedtimetable/…

Note that you have to book tickets in advance:

www.egged.co.il/Eng/main.asp…

All buses are modern,airconditioned and have large luggage bins. There is one short stop along the way.

…wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d1/Egged_…

Evansville, Indiana
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiring a driver from Jerusalem to Eilat

Thanks to those of you who have responded. I have checked flights, and the best time I can come up with is 3:45 (15:45) on Saturday afternoon. If we were to leave on Friday morning, we would have to miss our group tour's visit to the Masada and the Dead Sea, which we really don't want to miss. Of course, there are no flights on Friday evening that we could take.

Would it be any better with the bus? Is there any way we could catch the Egged Bus early on Saturday morning so that we could arrive by early afternoon in Eilat. As I had mentioned in my posting, we are hoping to be able to have our Jordanian guide take us to Wadi Rum and a jeep ride through the area before being driven to our hotel in Petra.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,506 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiring a driver from Jerusalem to Eilat

There is no bus to Eilat on Saturday morning. The only bus from Jerusalem to Eilat on Saturdays is the overnight bus leaving at 23:58 (Saturday night/Sunday morning).

The only way to be in Eilat on Saturday afternoon by bus is to go on Friday. The last bus on Fridays is at 14:00, arriving in Eilat at 18:52.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
435 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiring a driver from Jerusalem to Eilat

Pre-book a taxi driver from Eilat to pick you up on Friday afternoon from where you finish your Dead Sea/Masada tour.

It will cost you less than a taxi from Jerusalem and will save you time: the drive from Masada to Eilat takes 2.5 hours.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiring a driver from Jerusalem to Eilat

There is also a bus (444 from Jerusalem) that passes by Masada on Friday afternoon at around 15:15 (it can be earlier), that will get you to Eilat by around 7pm for the grand total of 47 shekels per person.

If you can get that bus after you have finished with your tour at Masada, that might be simplest.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,506 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiring a driver from Jerusalem to Eilat

Yes, that bus mentioned by debi_zyx is the same bus that I mentioned in post 5, the last bus of the day on Friday.

You should book the bus in advance. Especially hoping to get on in the middle of the route: if it is full it won't stop for you. And you do not want to be stranded in Masada on Friday afternoon when the next bus isn't till about 1 a.m. on Sunday!

Washington State
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hiring a driver from Jerusalem to Eilat

>Pre-book a taxi driver from Eilat to pick you up on Friday afternoon from where you finish your Dead Sea/Masada tour.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This is probably the best option. I would suggest you contact the guide who will be with your tour and ask him to arrange this for you. He should be more than willing to do this.

10. Re: Hiring a driver from Jerusalem to Eilat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, October 05, 2014