We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gate1travel: 11 Day Classic Israel Tour

B R
Boynton Beach...
Level Contributor
7 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Gate1travel: 11 Day Classic Israel Tour

We just returned from an 11 Day tour of Israel with Gate1. This was an amazing experience that exceeded all of our expectations. Gate1 delivered on everything they promised and more. All of the hotels were excellent. Breakfasts were included and were all lavish. Imagine halavah ay every breakfast! A few lunches and dinners were included and they were adequate. The tour guide was exceptionally knowledgeable, patient, and accommodating. The itinerary included not only those found on most tours, but some, like the Ethiopian Absorption Center, not visited by most. The itinerary was quite full, so Most of my tour would eliminate the Havala tour and the Diamond Center Tour. The Golan Heights optional tour was awesome and should be included in the regular tour. More time in Tzefat would be appreciated. Also, arriving in Tel Aviv late on Friday eliminated shopping time, due to Shabbat.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
828 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gate1travel: 11 Day Classic Israel Tour

I have wondered about Gate 1 Tours. Were tips included in the cost of the trip or did you have to tip at hotels, bus drivers, tour guides, etc.? We have done Tauck and Odyssey. Tips were included for both except the Tour Director at the end. Just wondering..

B R
Boynton Beach...
Level Contributor
7 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gate1travel: 11 Day Classic Israel Tour

Tips for tour guide, bus driver and room cleaning are not included...everything else is.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,922 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gate1travel: 11 Day Classic Israel Tour

Although I haven't taken Gate 1 tours myself, I have often run into people on these tours in my travels. Participants were happy with their tours and they seemed well organized departing at proper times in the mornings.

When you look at the price of tours, you need to consider whether or not tips are included. Most tours do not include tips which can add a couple of hundred dollars to the total. Generally guides are tipped $8-$10 a day per person on a group tour. Drivers are tipped $4-$5 a day per person. On a 10 day trip that is $150 plus the tips for the cleaning crew and if you need extra porterage help. Another thing to watch for is 'optional' tours. In effect, these used to be part of regular tours but now are touted as optional so they can be charged for. I would be vary wary of any program that had more than one 'optional' tour or 'free day' in a 10 day tour. Even if you don't take the optional tour, your free day is not going to be 'free' if you are touring sites on your own and having to cover your own transportation and admissions. Another thing to consider is whether the group is static for the entire tour or whether people can join or depart at different points. Sometimes a tour company does 8-11 or more days and people on the longer tour just keep losing people along the way as people have opted for the shorter tours, or have new people join from other tour groups which didn't have the appropriate numbers. I do know that Gate1 does this and while it may not be an issue for many people, some people doing a group tour may want to get that 'shared' feeling and develop relationships with fellow travellers instead of meeting new people or losing travel companions throughout the tour.

I think group tours are a great way to see the country, I have organized several myself for seniors and for teens and know that it can be just wonderful. However, the type of tour, the focus, the target group, the itinerary, and the price are all factors in getting the right match for the traveller. There are many very good companies running tours to Israel. Glad to hear that Gate1 was a good experience.

4. Re: Gate1travel: 11 Day Classic Israel Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 17, 2014