We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Route Tiberias to Jerusalem

Plainsboro, NJ
Level Contributor
59 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Best Route Tiberias to Jerusalem

I will be driving from Tiberias to Jerusalem on a Thursday.....what is the best route to take?.....and are there sightseeing spots to see on the way down to Jerusalem?

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
10,442 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Route Tiberias to Jerusalem

Drive via the Jordan Valley (Highway 90 to Jericho and Hwy 1 to Jerusalem). You can visit Bet Shean and Belvoir (Kochav HaYarden) on the way.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
54 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Route Tiberias to Jerusalem

There are two ways you can go. One is via the Jordan Valley as mentioned. The other is to cut over towards the coast and take route 6 south.

Depending on traffic the coastal route could be a bit longer or more than that if there is heavy traffic.

The Jordan Valley route (road 90) If very straight and monotonous most of the way there are some places to stop. Besides the spots mentioned, there is Kasr al Yehud (of interest mostly to Christian tourists) and you pass very close to the northern part of the Dead Sea, which means you can make a 15 minute detour to go to one of the beaches in the northern Dead Sea if you wish.

If you go via the coast, it is much more scenic and there is virtually no end to the places you could stop depending on what interests you.

Good luck!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,118 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Route Tiberias to Jerusalem

Route 6 is a toll road. The (electronic) bill will be sent to your car rental agency, and they will pass the charge on to you. It's not scenic at all.

The coastal road (route 2) is a third option, and is more scenic than the others.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,905 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Route Tiberias to Jerusalem

I would definitely recommend to use hwy 90. You can stop at Qaser el Yahud on the way, as mentioned. You take hwy 90 all the way to Beit HaArava junction (NOT to Jericho) and there you have a T junction - right is hwy 1 - to Jerusalem, left is hwy 90 - to the Dead Sea. Obviously, make a right to hwy 1 all the way up to Jerusalem.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,305 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Route Tiberias to Jerusalem

I also say use route 90. The coast road (2) takes you too far West. You will then have to cut back East ( 40-45 minutes) to return to Jerusalem. Highway 6, as already said is a boring road to drive. it is also expensive. In addition to the toll ( collected electronically), your rental agency will charge you a $15, give or take, administrative charge!

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
3,639 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Route Tiberias to Jerusalem

I agree that in many cases route 90 down the Jordan Valley can be a good way to do this journey.

Two reservations:

1) As mentioned many times on the forum, this road is narrow, winding and badly lit. For most of its length it passes through sparsely populated areas. The road is in the West Bank (in an area controlled completely by Israel), and there is quite a lot of military traffic along the road and a couple of checkpoints. For all these reasons, it could be a bit unnerving for someone unfamiliar with the route. I recommend not using this road at night.

2) You don't say when you're coming to Israel. If you're coming in summer, be aware that the Jordan Valley is brutally hot during the day. You're almost certainly not going to want to get out of the car. You need good airconditioning in the car and you need to have plenty of drinking water with you as there are only a handful of places to stop.

If these points don't apply to you or aren't a concern - by all means use the road. Otherwise, either use Road 6 and accept paying the fees as mentioned, or plan a day visiting somewhere interesting down the coast (Caesarea, Zikhron Yaacov....) and use the coastal road.

Mentioned in this post
West Bank
West Bank
Palestinian Territories
Plainsboro, NJ
Level Contributor
59 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Route Tiberias to Jerusalem

much appreciated, everyone....the plan is to take this drive on May 30th....during the early afternoon....Highway 90 seems the way to go....thanks so much!!

U S
Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
38 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Route Tiberias to Jerusalem

I highly recommend using the Waze App for traffic updates anywhere u drive in Israel. it doesn't just simply give u the directions, but also changes the routes based on lived traffic updates from other users. I live here in Israel and use it all the time even when i know exactly where I'm going.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
18,408 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Route Tiberias to Jerusalem

I'm a big fan of Waze, however for tourists the big drawback is that you need wi-fi for it to work.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,339 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Route Tiberias to Jerusalem

AS discussed take Hwy 90.

As you go south, stop at Beit Shean and spend some time there in the Roman ruins. It's a spectacular site and is well worth the stop. If you go in the late spring to summer make sure you bring water with you . It can get VERY hot out there. Also, bring a hat. Fuel up your car in that area before continuing south. You really don't want to get gas driving through the West Bank area.

Also, stop at Belvoir Castle. Although the ruins are spectacular with incredible views, they are not the best ruins to see in the country. I would still highly recommend the stop. One tip.... as you go up the road to the site, go slowly and keep your eyes open for some of the incedible green lizards that cross the road. They walk very slowly and will pose for you if you want a photo of them. Really neat.

Again, this site can be quite hot in the summer...use the proper precautions.

Driving south along Hwy 90 you'll see the Jordan Valley to the left. It's very picturesque...especially in the late afternoon as the sun hits the hillsides.

Enjoy.

Dr. Z

Mentioned in this post
West Bank
West Bank
Palestinian Territories