We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Touring Bethlehem by Bike?

Tiverton, Rhode...
2 posts
Save Topic
Touring Bethlehem by Bike?

I'll be visiting Israel in June and would like to spend a day (possibly overnight) in Bethlehem. Really not fond of group tours and I like to explore and get a taste of the local culture wherever I go. With all the bike rental places available in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem, does this sound like a viable option?

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,418 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Touring Bethlehem by Bike?

I don't advise to go from Jerusalem to Bethlehem by Bike, it's quite a long ride. I would advise you to take a public bus to Bethlehem from Jerusalem (the bus terminal near the Damascus gate) and rent a bike there. I don't know if there are bike to rent in Bethlehem, maybe others can tell for sure.

Just to make clear - Bethlehem is in the Palestinian Authority (while Jerusalem and Tel Aviv are in Israel).

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,954 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Touring Bethlehem by Bike?

Bethlehem is not far from Bethlehem (about 3 km south)bike rental agencies in Jerusalem may not allow you to take a bike into the PA. Additionally Bethlehem is built on steep hills which may make getting around difficult by bicycle plus the traffic conditions and roads might put cause safety concerns. I personally do not suggest touring this city by bicycle.

If you are still set on such an option I suggeat posting on the West Bank forum regarding such options. In any case you can tour the city on your own without a guide as long as you have a good map.

Chana

Israel

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,924 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Touring Bethlehem by Bike?

If you are an avid cyclist, it may be possible but as mentioned before, not advisable because of traffic, steep hills, maybe no safe place to leave the bike if you go inside. No need for a tour group, take the public bus to the checkpoint and you can walk from there. The area is great for hiking and walking and safe for tourists.A good guide book will come in very handy if you don't have a guide, and in my opinion, is quite adequate to see the sites if you do your homework in advance and know what you want to see and you have a good map.

Edited: 1:42 pm, March 23, 2013
Tiverton, Rhode...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Touring Bethlehem by Bike?

What a great forum! Thank you, everyone, for your input. I think I'll save my energy for the hike up Masada and tour Bethlehem by foot and taxi.

Tel Aviv
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Touring Bethlehem by Bike?

try www.BikeJerusalem.com

6. Re: Touring Bethlehem by Bike?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 04, 2014