We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

14 days Israel Itinerary

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
120 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
14 days Israel Itinerary

Hi,

Following is mine itinerary for Israel in May, please add or subtract as you see fit!

Day 1 Thu Arrive TA at 9:00 am TA, Jaffa overnight TA

Day 2 Fri Am TA, pick up rental, Pm Caesarea overnight Haifa

Day 3 Sat Haifa, Megiddo overnight Haifa

Day 4 Sun Akko, Rosh Ha-Nigra overnight Haifa

Day 5 Mon Nazareth, Cana, Mt Taba, Druze Village, Zippori overnight Tiberias

Day 6 Tue Ginossar, Tabgha, Capernaum, Korazim, Kursi, Yardenit, Magdala overnight Tiberias

Day 7 Wed Metulla, Golan Height, Mt Bental, Bental Davidson Center, Gamla overnight Tiberias

Day 8 Thu Qumran, Jericho, waterfall overnight Ein Gedi

Day 9 Fri Am Masada through Snake Trail, return rental car in Jerusalem around noon, Pm Bethlehem overnight Jerusalem

Day 10 Sat Hebron overnight Jerusalem

Day 11 Sun Am Kotel Jerusalem and overnight

Day 12 Mon Jerusalem and overnight

Day 13 Tue Jerusalem and overnight

Day 14 Wed morning to Amman throught Allenby overnight Mataba

Day 15-21 Jordan

Day 22 Fly home

Question

I have not figure out the itinerary for Jerusalem yet so any suggestions would be very helpful.

If needed, I could cut one day in Jordan and use that for Jerusalem.

Would you recommend taking bus to Elliat and cross over to Jordan from there and work my way back to Amman?

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,696 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 14 days Israel Itinerary

My comments:

Day 8 - you can't take an Israeli rental car into Jericho. I suggest that you visit Bet Shean on the way to the Dead Sea. You should try to stay overnight at the Massada Youth Hostel if you want to climb the snake path early the next morning.

Day 2 - by the time you pick up your rental car you will have to start driving north. This means that you will have almost no time in Tel-Aviv. You should consider spending Friday in Tel-Aviv and one day less in the Galilee.

Jordan: you have to get a visa in advance if you want to cross at the Allenby Bridge and in general the crossing the is more stressful and time-consuming than at Eilat.

Have you worked out an itinerary for Jordan ?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
120 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 14 days Israel Itinerary

I'm trying to finalize the Israel section first because that would determine the number of days I have in Jordan and the border crossing would decide the logistic.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,696 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 14 days Israel Itinerary

14 days is more than what most tourists spend in Israel so you don't necessarily have to add an extra day. On the other hand, you have to plan the Jordan part in order to decide whether you need 7 full days there. You should discuss the Jordan segment with the experts on the Jordan forum. Are you flying home from Amman ?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,149 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 14 days Israel Itinerary

Basically your itinerary looks good, but I would suggest the following (in addition to learning the proper names of the sites if you decide to look at a map, use a GPS or ask for direction).

Day 1-2 fine. Be sure you pick up the car in the morning, agencies close at around noon.

Day 3 -- Megiddo is a site you visit for about an hour and am assuming you will be touring Haifa the rest of the day? Elijah's cave, Stella Maris, Maritime and Illegal Immigrant Museum, Bahai Gardens (only to view them from above/below), Daliyat al-Karmel Druze village.

Day 4 -- Rosh Hanikra (note spelling). Don't miss the Tunisian synagogue in Akko

Day 5 -- Mt. Tabor(note spelling). Druze village should be on the day you are in Haifa, as there are none on the route you are taking here.

Day 6 -- is fine

Day 7 -- Note that there is no 'center' at Bental. The Davidson Center is in Jerusalem at the Southern Wall Excavations.

Day 8 -- As already mentioned you cannot go to Jericho with your car. The drive from Tiberias to Qumran is about 2.5 hours. I suggest stopping at Qasr al-Yahud where the Israelites crossed the Jordan and Jesus baptismal took place. The rest is fine.

Day 9 -- The snake path is open from 1 hour before sunrise and is an experience climbing at that hour. Good time to visit Bethlehem Friday afternoon.

Day 10 -- Do you have a specific plan for Hebron?

Day 11-14 in Jerusalem is good. There are tons of things to see and do, what are you interested in?

Day 14 -- if you are planning on a 3-6 day tour in Jordan I would rearrange the entire itinerary where you enter Jordan in the north near Beit Shean, tour that country and return to Israel at Eilat. Crossing over at the Allenby bridge requires acquiring a visa to that country from the consulate closest to your home for a fee which in opinion is not worth the hassle. Additionally, I would consider adding a day in Jerusalem and a day less in Jordan.

Day 22 fly home from where? Amman or Tel Aviv?

Please take a look at a map when you decide which site to visit after which site so you will not be doubling back.

Chana

Israel

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
120 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 14 days Israel Itinerary

I'll be flying home from Amman!

On Day 10 Did I allot too much time for Hebron?

I also would like to see Ramallah if I could fit that in my itinerary!

I'm planning on hiring guide or joining tour for touring the West Bank Area!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,149 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 14 days Israel Itinerary

You could feasibly spend the entire day in Hebron, however any guided tour you take on Shabbat will have a slant that you need to be prepared for. Why Ramallah? It is just a city with no historical importance or important sites to visit (although I heard they have good ice-cream). I would opt out of this city if it is just to check off that you were there. There are plenty of other areas in Judea and Samaria which are worth visiting such as the beer brewery at Taiba, amongst others. It would be advantageous to take a guided tour to these areas especially since you cannot drive your rented car in them.

Even if you are flying from Amman, I would not suggest crossing over the Allenby bridge due to the hassle and time involved with such a crossing. If you do, plan ahead by getting your visa now and expecting up to 5 hours to cross depending on the day and hour of your crossing.

Chana

Israel

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
668 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 14 days Israel Itinerary

Chana, if I would return to the West Bank, I would again choose Ramallah instead of seeing a new (or rather old) place like Jericho with important sights - different tastes, some like old stones, I like beer, falafel and icecream better ;-) But ok, if the OP is interested in general "sights" Ramallah can be skipped.

OP: If Ramallah is a sign you are more interested in "modern" places, I would spend more time in Tel Aviv. I would also change Tiberias as a base to somewhere else in the Galilee, which is beautiful everywhere I've been except maybe Tiberias. Otherwise I'd love to do your trip!

(I'm not experienced but spent 13 days in Israel proper + 2 days Ramallah + 3 in Jordan last spring, first and until now only trip)

Oh, and we were also using Haifa as a base, despite all experts here saying that was a bad idea. They were right, we were wrong, we spent several hours (sometimes daily!) watching traffic move slowly in the Greater Haifa Area. You can expect to do the same day 4 (day 3 shabbat should be fine) unless you change your base.

Edited: 4:37 am, March 18, 2013
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
120 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 14 days Israel Itinerary

Finally got some time to response!

Between work and the 3 years old sometime it is quite difficult to find time to do the necessary research and response!

Ok, where should I base myself at if I don't stay over at Haifa on day 4?

What would be a good base around the Galilee if I don't use Tiberias?

If Allenby crossing is such a hassle, then I would take a bus to Eilat on Day 14 early evening, overnight and then crossover to Aqaba in the morning. Do you think that would work?

On the map, it look like a lot more logical to crossing to Amman and work my way up north to Petra.

As far as Hebron goes, I don't have any plan.

I just like to experience it first hand than seeing it in the news media all the time. The same goes for Ramallah.

If I skip Ramallah, what other sites/interest in West Bank that worth visiting or should I use the extra day for Jerusalem?

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,421 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 14 days Israel Itinerary

Since you start day 5 at Nazareth, then stay at Nazareth at the end of day 4.

You can take the bus from Jerusalem to Eilat. Cross at the Arava border crossing - which is the closest border crossing to Petra. Many tours go from Aqaba to Petra and Wadi Rum, later make your way up north and end at Amman. Inquire at the Jordan forum for more information.

Jerusaelm would be worth any extra day you can afford :)

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,696 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 14 days Israel Itinerary

Rosh Pina is a good base for touring the Galilee. There are a lot of B&Bs there.

Your question about Jordan is not clear: Petra is SOUTH of Amman.