We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for guidance and advice

New Jersey
Level Contributor
93 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for guidance and advice

I will be in Israel in Galilee and Jerusalem. I arrive in Tel Aviv, and will have one day on my own to do some sight seeing. After the meeting, I hope to spend two days in Jerusalem, organizing a day trip to Bethlehem with one of the guides mentioned in this forum. ... now the problem. I would like to bet from Jerusalem to Jordan to visit Petra, Mt Nebo and Wadi Rum...suggestions of the best way to do this, including details? Thanks

ps. will also post similar post in Jordan forum

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,364 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for guidance and advice

If time is short, fly from Ben Gurion Airport to Eilat. The following morning, I suggest taking a 2-day excursion into Jordan that covers Petra and Wadi Rum via Desert Eco Tours. They'll return you to Eilat at the end of day #2 from where you can fly back to Tel Aviv's Sde Dov.

Washington State
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for guidance and advice

Before I venture an answer, how many days do you have for this?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
93 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for guidance and advice

good question. I can allow 3-5 days. Reading, I see I can fly, thanks davetheguide, or take a bus (5 hour ride) which seems like a nice thing, as I would be able to see the panorana, including Dead sea.

I would like to spend time in the protected area of wadi rum, including an overnight as I have read alot about this.

thanks

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,364 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for guidance and advice

3-5 days only in Israel and you want to include a visit to Petra as well? This is really not doing justice to Israel.

With only three days in our country, visit Jerusalem (the most fascinating city on earth) and Jerusalem only.

With five days in country, do include a day trip to Masada and the Dead Sea. Certainly do not waste precious driving time to reach Eilat. Fly to Eilat if you insist on that 2-day excursion to Petra and Wadi Rum.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,254 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for guidance and advice

It is not clear if you are in Israel for five days or have five days to visit Jordan. If the former choose one country and visit only that one, if the latter you can play around with your time.

There are several other operators running similar tours such ad Thru-us and Ahalan Olympus, both out of Eilat, so if you don't find what you are looking for with one check out another.

Chana

Israel

Washington State
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for guidance and advice

Here’s my suggestion:

1. Taxi or bus to the Allenby border crossing from Jerusalem. Arrange with the Marian Hotel in Madaba to have a driver waiting for you. He can take you to Mt Nebo. (Note that the modern church at Mt Nebo may still be in major reconstruction and the place is a bit of a mess). You will still have time to visit another site that day – St Georges in Madaba (the site of the Madaba mosaic map), the Jordan John the Baptist site, or Machaerus (when John the Baptist was imprisoned and killed). Spend the night in Madaba.

2. Marian Hotel runs a bus service between Madaba and Wadi Musa (Petra). You get to visit Karak castle on he way. You get to Wadi Musa late afternoon. Stay in Wadi Musa.

3. Full day visit to Petra. Overnight Wadi Musa.

4. Arrange with your hotel for a driver to Wadi Rum. Be sure you are taken to the visitor center, not to some sketchy tour operator in Disseh, outside the protected area. You should easily have time for a four hour tour and that’s plenty of time bouncing around in a beat up truck or 4x4. After that, get a taxi to the Aqaba border crossing and spend the night in Eilat.

5. Rent a car in Eilat. Drive north and visit Masada. You should have time to visit Qumran as well, should you wish. Finish your day by arriving in Jerusalem.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
1,151 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for guidance and advice

If your total trip is 3 - 5 days then focus on Israel. Spend three days in Jerusalem and one or two nights in the Galilee. Do use a private guide prudently to make best use of your time.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for guidance and advice

Flying from Ben Guiran to Eilat is the easiest and shortest way, then take a taxi to the border, and a new taxi on the other side. There are also several tour operators offering day ad 2-day trips from Eilat.

When I looked into this, there was a bus leaving at night form Tel Aviv, arriving early morning in Eilat. Check out egged.co.il

Regarding the West Bank, I used Green Olive tours to get to Bethlehem and Hebron. You can read my trip report here: http://evtob.com/a-day-at-the-west-bank/

- Even T

New Jersey
Level Contributor
93 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for guidance and advice

Thanks all. I appreciate your input. To clairfy, I will be in Israel a total of 8 days, 6 of which will be divided between Gaillee and Jerusalem..Then, two days on my own to visit Bethlehem and Hebron as suggested. Then, I hope to embark on the Petra/Wadi RUm leg.

Thanks for the suggestions, will check out air and buses and compare the two.

reading TA, am I correct in my understanding, that I can cross at any border (some need visas prior to arrival)and leave from another border without problem?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,782 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for guidance and advice

Yes, you can enter or exit at any border crossing that works for you.

In terms of entering Jordan, if you will be using the Allenby Bridge crossing you need to have a visa arranged in advance as they are not issued there.