We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

18 Day Itinerary

St. Petersburg...
3 posts
Save Topic
18 Day Itinerary

My wife and I are planning an 18 day visit to Israel. Can anyone suggest a nice itinerary? We plan to arrive to TLV Sept. 19, in the late afternoon. We would like to rent an apartment in Jersusalem for about 7 days. We would also like to include Petra. We have no problem renting a car (except for the week in Jersusalem) or taking public transportation for day trips etc. Would also like to stay at a kibbutz at least once (I hear there is one that grows organic--that would be nice). Thanks for any suggestions.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,858 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 18 Day Itinerary

I would suggest:

Tel Aviv -- 3 nights

Haifa -- 2 nights

A kibbutz in the Kinneret region -- 2-3 nights (others wil have suggestions)

Eilat and Petra -- 3-4 nights

Jerusalem -- 7 nights

That would be a great trip!

Douglas Duckett

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,935 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 18 Day Itinerary

You are planning to arrive at the busiest time of the year, the height of the tourist season during the holiday of Sukkot. Hotels will be filled to the brim, prices will be high and sites will be busy. You should get an itinerary together and book your accommodations as soon as possible. With 18 days, you have time to see a lot of the country.

I would recommend you stay in a kibbutz hotel in the Galilee.

You could consider starting your trip in Tel Aviv for a couple of days then go to the Galilee for several days. Proceed south to the Dead Sea to Eilat. From Eilat you can do a one or two day tour to Petra/Wadi Rum. From Eilat you can head north and spend the week in Jerusalem.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,935 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 18 Day Itinerary

Douglas and I posted at the same time- same itinerary :)

St. Petersburg...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 18 Day Itinerary

Thank you for your postings. I know it's the holiday but it's the only days I could get a free ticket with miles.

Question. If we had a rental car and drove to Eilat, what do I do with the car if we went to Petra overnight on a tour? Just leave it at a hotel in Eilat to drive back to Jerusalem?

Bruce

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,858 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 18 Day Itinerary

Good catch, annejoshme -- I had missed the dates.

If you made arrangements with the hotel, I would guess you could leave the car. There is also a lot near the border crossing as I recall -- others will confirm that.

Douglas Duckett

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,761 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 18 Day Itinerary

There is a lot at the border crossing and many people have reported leaving the car there while they go to Jordan, even overnight.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
832 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 18 Day Itinerary

We left our car at the Arava/Rabin border parking lot for a three nights stay in Jordan, it was still there when we came back. Probably very safe, but the disadvantage is your concern about your car's well-being will hang around in the back of your head during your visit to Jordan.

But if you go on a tour I suppose you go from central Eilat where you probably(?) can park it guarded somewhere.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,790 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 18 Day Itinerary

Just to clarify on the "kibbutz hotel". These are hotels - in rural settings by definition - operated by kibbutzim as a profit-making venture like any other hotel. If you're thinking you will be eating in the members' dining hall and seeing kibbutz life, you are about 30 years too late. Even the kibbutz members themselves don't eat in the communal dining hall these days...

Nothing wrong with kibbutz hotels; in fact they are lovely, but you shouldn't be under any illusions!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,761 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 18 Day Itinerary

Suffaluff you beat me to it - wanted to emphasize that you won't have the opportunity to stay in a kibbutz and experience kibbutz life - not to mention that kibbutz life today is very different from what it was 20-30 years ago.

There are any number of kibbutzim (pl) that have large amounts of organic agriculture. You may be thinking of Sde Eliyahu (not far from Beit Shean) - you can look into their "Bio Tour" which can be arranged in advance and is very interesting.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
790 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 18 Day Itinerary

Bruce - perhaps consider flying to Eilat? The view from the plane is exquisite, and if you fly from Sde Dov airport, which I remember as not being as busy as Ben Gurion, you'll save yourself a bit of time and a long drive. The catch could be that you might have to travel lightly because of luggage restrictions. The DE's will let you know if I have this right!

Thanks, Oreets for mentioning the Sde Eliyahu "Bio Tour". I will put that in my Israel 2014 file!