We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Negev is one of top 10 destinations

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,588 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Negev is one of top 10 destinations

We've all noted frequently that Lonely Planet is not the best guide for planning a trip to Israel - but this time they included Israel in one of their Top 10 Destinations for 2013.

See: lonelyplanet.com/themes/…

The Negev is number 2 on the list of top 10 regions for Best for: Adventure, activities, off the beaten track

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,231 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Negev is one of top 10 destinations

Nice to hear! But yes, it's still the worst Israel travel guide.

Douglas Duckett

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,231 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Negev is one of top 10 destinations

To be clear, I'm not disagreeing with the recommendation on the Negev -- just the general quality of the Lonely Planet Guide on Israel.

Douglas Duckett

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
470 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Negev is one of top 10 destinations

As the topic for new guidebooks is closed and as I didn't see the one I'm thinking of mentioned there anyway, and as this topic at least slightly touches the subject guidebooks, I have to recommend Footprint's Israel Handbook

footprinttravelguides.com/africa-middle-east…

It was easily the most comprehensive English-language guidebooks we used. Of course we didn't use all guidebooks out there, but most of them are for example thin to very thin regarding West Bank, but Footprint was not.

Negev: Neither particularly good nor bad in my memory, but of course lots to see for such a small desert.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,867 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Negev is one of top 10 destinations

I think the Negev it is fantastic. There is so much to see and do. Endless hiking trails that are well marked, wonderful vistas, lots of nature and animals, and of course, the history and archeology.

My husband doesn't like visitng the desert at all finding it all to stark but I think that is the beauty of it.

5. Re: Negev is one of top 10 destinations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, December 04, 2013