We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Falafel, Shawarma shop in Jerusalem city

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
650 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Best Falafel, Shawarma shop in Jerusalem city

Greetings Travellers,

If you are staying in Jerusalem and would like to taste the best Falafel, Shawarma Shop in Jerusalem you have come to the right place.

Stand in front of the “Jerusalem Hostel” which is located on 44 Yafo Street, Jerusalem (Just at the end of the Ben Yehuda Street). Look towards Ben Yehuda Street. On the right side you will see a Falafel/Shawarma shop (located next to the ATM Machines). The shop name is written in Hebrew (engraved on a red name board). This is the best place where we ate Falafel/Shawarma (Take out is welcome). Very tasty and the prices were much cheaper than the two other Falafel/Shawarma shops on Ben Yehuda street.

On Ben Yehuda Street there is the “Moshiko” Falafel/Shawarma shop. They are very famous and always full of people (extremely busy), but their prices were a bit more expensive when compared to other Falafel/Shawarma shops. Moshiko staff are entertaining and hilarious.

All of them were good (top class), but the tastiest Falafel, Shawarma Shop in Jerusalem we found was the one just on the opposite side of the Jerusalem Hostel. If you do come to Jerusalem, please do try them out for a change.

All of them are closed on the Shabbat (they all close around 4:00 PM on Saturday).

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
369 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Best Falafel, Shawarma shop in Jerusalem city

This thread is so intersting, like rdglady I tried Falafel, Shawarma and Humus only once and didn't like it, I thought I was the only one :)

I fascinated by how many people love these foods and are so passionate about them.

Edited: 6:02 am, February 17, 2013
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,404 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Best Falafel, Shawarma shop in Jerusalem city

Usually, the falafel, humus and shawarma that you will find outside of the middle east bears no resemblance to the real thing.

Give it another shot when you're here - you may be pleasantly surprised - and then frustrated that you can't get it back home.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,431 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Best Falafel, Shawarma shop in Jerusalem city

Amen to that last comment. I can assure you that most falafel in Cincinnati, Ohio, USA is NOT like the falafel you find in Israel!

Douglas Duckett

Haifa
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Best Falafel, Shawarma shop in Jerusalem city

The best Falafel and Shawarma in Jerusalem is actually in Haifa!

Jerusalem, Israel
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Best Falafel, Shawarma shop in Jerusalem city

In Beit HaKerem, opposite the Shaarei Tzedek hospital is one of Jerusalem's best kept felafel secrets! They sell felafel balls in 4 different flavours - coriander, garlic, paprika and something else - and I think you can even get a combo job! Tastey, fresh and spicey= yum!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,404 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Best Falafel, Shawarma shop in Jerusalem city

Tali's right - the falafel there is very good - still not the best in Jerusalem - that one is a small "hole in the wall" on Nevi'im St.

Like I said way back at the start of this thread - the minute you start extolling the "best" of falafel, shawarma, hummous, etc you will have an argument :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Best Falafel, Shawarma shop in Jerusalem city

I would highly recommend the falafel place in the markets (Yehuda) It's the only one you will see a crowd gathering. I don't know what the name of the Main Street of markets is, sorry. I ate there for 4 days and still managed to try other places. This was the best by far. I only saw locals ordering from there. I don't know the name as it was in Hebrew. Check it out!

Pinetop-Lakeside...
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Best Falafel, Shawarma shop in Jerusalem city

Haha, I'm digging up an old thread, but I tried a few in 2011 and found that the little 'twin' shops at the corner of King George and Agrippas to be very very good and very in expensive . . .

Brownsville, Texas
Level Contributor
583 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Best Falafel, Shawarma shop in Jerusalem city

I have never tasted Israeli food (or any Middle Eastern food) but today I found a small arab restaurant in my hometown of Brownsville, TX. I checked out their website and it has good reviews. I'm definitely going to try it either on Thursday or Friday. Yes, I know it probably won't be as authentic as actual Israeli food but I want to get an idea of what kind of food I'm going to find over there come November. There are 4 items I want to try: falafel, hummus, schwarma and lamb kebabs.

Pinetop-Lakeside...
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Best Falafel, Shawarma shop in Jerusalem city

It will not taste the same.