We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eldan Car Rental

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,888 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Eldan Car Rental

Can anyone who has rented from Eldan Car Rentals in Israel comment on the difference between 3rd Part Insurance and Comprehensive Insurance. Im unsure which I (a foreigner) would need to purchase when and if I rent a car from them.

Also do you know if its possible to get GPS navigation with the rental car and if it has an English language option?

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Eldan Hotel
Eldan Hotel
884 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,826 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eldan Car Rental

There has been sooo much written on this forum about the pros and cons of GPS. The majority seem to feel that the English language navigation is nearly useless because of lack of consistency in the transliteration of Israeli place names into Latin letters.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,261 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eldan Car Rental

Eldan seems to be renting I-pads with navigational units in them, not regular GPS units. BUT, I agree with Dave and would just use old fashioned paper maps. a good map book--MAPA or CARTA ( we disagree on TA which is the best) and google maps.

IN terms of the insurances. As indicated on the Eldan site-Third Party Liability is MANDATORY for everyone who is renting. Comprehensive MAY be covered by your credit card. I am not sure of the status of Canadian cards. ( note to Americans; only 1 American card covers this) You would have to check with your card and verify if they have insurance for Israel. If not, comprehensive becomes mandatory too. --or you may just want to pay the comprehensive and not have to get involved with your credit card company if G-d forbid, you have a problem.

Edited: 12:33 pm, May 29, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Eldan Hotel
Eldan Hotel
884 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
Pinetop-Lakeside...
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eldan Car Rental

I agree, just buy the insurance from Eldan. That takes all the guesswork out of the equation.

As for the GPS, same. Study your maps or print out some google directions/maps and use the GPS unit not for turn-by-turn instructions, but just to make sure you're still on your desired route; or if/when you get off of it, how to get back.

good luck

Mentioned in this post
Eldan Hotel
Eldan Hotel
884 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
Stuttgart, Germany
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eldan Car Rental

Eldon does not rent GPS but they have a company in their shops in Tel Aviv, Airport and Jerusalem, from which you can rent a GPS: www.gpsrent.co.il

The insurance you can change there too, we had the one with about 500 Euro deductable. We could have paid about 60 Euro to have none, but thought that to expensive.

Mentioned in this post
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv District, Israel
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jerusalem District, Israel
Stuttgart, Germany
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eldan Car Rental

Forgot to say: The GPS has English option, but sometimes it is complicated with the street names.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,261 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eldan Car Rental

The insurance variable from Eldan to avoid the deductible is not available at the time you make your reservation. It is only available at the time you get your car. It varies in price according to the rental category. I have found I'll come out ahead if I "self-insure" Last March, while the vehicle was parked outside my apartment some &%&*(^% stole the side mirror. ( not the whole piece, but they neatly removed the mirror itself) I was liable. The cost of the mirror was less than full insurance would have been.

Mentioned in this post
Eldan Hotel
Eldan Hotel
884 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
7. Re: Eldan Car Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 am, June 21, 2013