We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. George’s Monastery in Israel - Questions

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
709 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
St. George’s Monastery in Israel – Questions

Greetings Travelers,

Can anyone tell if they have personally been to the beautiful place in Israel St. George’s Monastery? My questions are:

• Where exactly on “Google Maps Israel” is St. George’s Monastery?

• Some traveler's say it is located Located near Mitspe Yeriho on “Google Israel Maps”. But my question is where exactly it is in Mitspe Yeriho? Is there any road or street where it is close to?

• How much time in hours must you allocate to this beautiful place?

• Is traveling by car to St. George’s Monastery safe and how good are the roads?

Thank you.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,717 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. George’s Monastery in Israel – Questions

St. George Monastary is near Mitzpeh Yeriho which is off of highway 1 that runs from Jeruslem to the Dead Sea. However this proximity is as the bird flys. You must have a car to get to the site which is located in Nahal Prat canyon. Turn left when coming from Jerusalem onto the road to Mitzpeh Yeriho and immediately left onto a road which goes down toward the canyon. You will drive about 4.5 km until reaching the newly opened parking lot which from there you can go up to the monestary.

The road was recently repaved and is okay, with two way bus traffic allowed. Check for opening hours and days before embarking on the visit. An hour at the site is sufficient. If you are into hiking there are nice paths in Nahal Prat which is an oasis in the desert and truly worth visiting.

In general it is safe, check with car rental agency if there is insurance coverage for this area. There is no access by public transportation.

Chana

Israel

Edited: 5:20 am, March 18, 2012
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,098 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: St. George’s Monastery in Israel – Questions

I have not been to St. George's Monastery.

According to the (Hebrew, paper) map I have, it's on the road that goes roughly northeast from Mitzpe Yeriho to Jericho, about halfway between the two places.

Note that Israeli rental cars cannot be taken into Jericho (your insurance won't be valid), but the road from Mitzpe Yeriho as far as the monastery, and about 1 km beyond, is under full Israeli control and you can drive there.

I hope this helps.

Chana posted excellent information while I was looking it up!

Edited: 5:22 am, March 18, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
709 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St. George’s Monastery in Israel – Questions

Thanks Chana and Shuffaluff. It is so beautiful to see in the photos.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
18,388 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St. George’s Monastery in Israel – Questions

As long as you follow Chana's travel directions you will have problem with your rental car as you will not be leaving the areas under Israeli authority. You do not have to go through Jericho to get to the Monastery.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
709 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St. George’s Monastery in Israel – Questions

Thanks Oreets.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,275 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St. George’s Monastery in Israel – Questions

Oreets post should read you will have NO problem with your rental as you will not be leaving...

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,049 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St. George’s Monastery in Israel – Questions

A question: On my first trip to Israel in 1988, a guide took us to a great overlook not far off Highway 1 that had a spectacular view of the monestary as well. I have never been able to find that spot since. I have found the drive that goes near to the monestary itself, and you can then walk down a path to get to it, but I honestly don't need to get that close or take that time. I'd love to show my friends the overlook. Does anyone know how to get to that? As I remember it, it was a short drive off Highway 1, and then a not-far walk up a hell to the canyon.

Douglas Duckett

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
18,388 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St. George’s Monastery in Israel – Questions

whoops - thanks for catching that - indeed - you will have no problems with the rental as you will not be leaving Israel.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
709 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St. George’s Monastery in Israel – Questions

Yes that was what I thought of Oreets typo.

Hey Douglas I did not read anything about St. George’s Monastery in your personal travel guide. Have you not visited this place?

Thanks,

Israel
Level Contributor
736 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St. George’s Monastery in Israel – Questions

I have been to St. George about ~8 years ago. You can access the overlook from a small settlement just off hwy 1, called Mitzpeh Yericho. Here are directions translated from a Hebrew website:

Going on hwy 1 eastbound, take the turn at the intersection to Mitzpe Yericho (located slightly east of Khan of the Good Samaritan). Upon taking the turn from hwy 1, make a left following signs to Wadi Kelt and the Monastery (turning right will take you to Mitzpe Yericho). After about 100 meters you'll see a T junction, on which you should make a right. Continue with the road for about 5 minutes drive (drive carefully, winding road).

Soon, you will see an observation point near a large black cross - park and go upstairs - and then a spectacular view of the monastery and water springs will be visible.

Return to the car and continue with the road to the parking lot from where you can get off to the monastery.

In most cases you will find local Arabs at the parking lot, who will offer to buy beaded necklaces, spoons, or go down to the monastery on the backs of donkeys.

Edited: 11:27 am, March 18, 2012