We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Israel Railways

England, United...
Level Contributor
440 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Israel Railways

The railway appears to be a great way of travelling alon the coast. Despite the excellent website in English are signs, platform information, station names, etc. in Engligh as well as Hebrew? How easy is it to travel without speaking or reading Hebrtew?

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,371 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Israel Railways

Yes, all signs and station names are in English as well as Hebrew. Travelling on the train will be no more difficult than in any non-English speaking country in Europe. Almost all of the other passengers as well as the railway personnel speak good English and will assist you if necessary.

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
754 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Israel Railways

mbgg said everything that needs to be said regarding to your question however there is another point that is important.

The Haifa - Tel Aviv line is one of the busiest lines of the train. it's almost always full. so if possible try to travel not with in the rush hours or even better if possible buy a reserved ticket (which costs 3 NIS more, less than 1 USD$) and you will have a reserved seat in the train.

England, United...
Level Contributor
440 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Israel Railways

Many thanks.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,431 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Israel Railways

I second the recommendation to buy the reserved ticket. You will never again pay so little for so much. :-)

Douglas Duckett

YZD
Toronto
Level Contributor
563 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Israel Railways

While platforms and schedules are trilingual, when the train enters the station the sign on the front is only in Hebrew, as well as train announcements.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,092 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Israel Railways

YZD is correct. The only announcements in English are the ones for the train to the airport! However, if you play around on the English site of the railroad you can print out a specific itinerary which will give you a stop by stop description--and you can figure out where you are at any given time. It is not hard to do! --and you can ask anyone on the train or platforms. Israelis are always happy to help!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,711 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Israel Railways

I have been on the train from the airport to Haifa with announcements in English in both directions.

The train can be used but for limited travel for going up the coast between Ashkelon and Nahariya and south to Beer Sheva, which several branches to the east in the center of country to places such as Lod, Modiin, Ben Gurion Airport. It's not a great idea to take the train to Jerusalem as it takes twice as long as the bus, but if you have time the scenery is beautiful.

Chana

Israel

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Israel Railways

Just note that it is worth having a backup plan in case the particular route on the railway is not running while you are here. It happens more often than it should (this week the Tel Aviv to Beer Sheva and Tel Aviv to Jerusalem routes are closed for maintenance).

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Israel Railways

Announcements have always been in Hebrew & English whenever I have travelled by train in Israel. Additionally, on many lines there are electronic signs on the train in English & Hebrew that display the name of the next station.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,092 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Israel Railways

Tomorrow I am taking the train from Netanya to Tel Aviv. I will pay very close attention to what language they are speaking and what language the sign in the train telling the next station is. I'll report back tomorrow night ( israel time)