We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent car with GPS in Israel

NJ
11 posts
Save Topic
Rent car with GPS in Israel

Which car rental company has cars with GPS? I will need to rent it in Jerusalem.

Thanks.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,022 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rent car with GPS in Israel

I think that all companies offer a GPS at an extra charge - just ask ! I had guests who rented a GPS at www.rentcenter.co.il because it was much cheaper than what their car rental company quoted.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,438 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rent car with GPS in Israel

In addition to the GPS be sure that you have a good map, because the GPS does not always put you on the most direct route.

Chana

Israel

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,349 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rent car with GPS in Israel

Most of the people here ( not all, but most) have reported difficulty with using a GPS while in Israel. The problem arises because Israeli cities have no standard English name or spelling. ie. are you going to Tiberias or Tiveria or Tyveria? Are you visiting Safed, Tzvat or Tsfat? I would suggest you seriously consider just buying a really good map ( MAPA or ??? --okay, I'm blanking on the name--someone will fill it in!)

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,022 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rent car with GPS in Israel

Rglady:

That was the advice I gave to my visitors several months ago, but they insisted on renting the GPS. They had no problems with it and the one day I drove with them I was impressed how helpful it was, not only with general directions, but also how to find gas stations, a post office, restaurants, etc. Since then I have changed my opinion.

nj
Level Contributor
327 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rent car with GPS in Israel

We rented a GPS when we rented our car from Budget. It was actually quite helpful MOST of the time, and we were glad that we had it.

The spelling was never an issue, except, amazingly for Akko-Acre-. It never did get that one.

I agree that it is not always the most direct route, but it got us where we were going and sometimes interesting routes as well. (and not to worry because it was programmed to totally avoid any of the "iffy" (unsafe so to speak?) areas.

I think when we go again, we will likely rent a GPS again.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,347 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rent car with GPS in Israel

Rdglady, I think the other map company you are trying to think of is Carta.

I'm still of the map school personally, particularly given that the GPS units seem pretty pricey.

Douglas Duckett

7. Re: Rent car with GPS in Israel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, October 16, 2010