We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel On Rosh Hashanah

West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
314 posts
110 reviews
Travel On Rosh Hashanah

Does anyone know if Israel Rail runs on Rosh Hashanah and if you can get taxis. I know alot is lcosed but want to know about transportations.

Thanks

Israel
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Travel On Rosh Hashanah

Public transportation (bus, train) does not operate on Rosh Ha'Shana. Taxis run 24/7 all days of the year. The only day when nothing runs on the roads, public or private, is Yom Kippur.

West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
314 posts
110 reviews
2. Re: Travel On Rosh Hashanah

Do the trains go back to normal after Rosh Hashanah until Yom Kippur? Also I saw on line that the last day of Rosh Hashanah is September 10 at least in The United States. Is that true in Israel?

Level Contributor
21,537 posts
48 reviews
3. Re: Travel On Rosh Hashanah

Rosh HaShana is the only holiday that lasts two days even in Israel. On 2010 Rosh HaShana will be September 9th and 10th. Which means that from September 8th in the afternoon until September 10th at night all public transportation will shut down. There usually are some trains at night (early) at the end of the holiday. There will be busses.Quite a few people will be on the road.

Israel
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Travel On Rosh Hashanah

I just looked at the calendar. Actually, Rosh Ha'Shana this year, September 2010, is from Wednesday Sept 8 in the afternoon till Friday Sept 10th in the evening. Which means that public transportation (trains and buses) will resume operation only on Saturday Sept 11 in the evening!!! So, you have to take into account 3 days without public transportation. But remember that taxis will operate during the whole holiday. As Anon mentioned, the traffic at the end of the holiday on Saturday evening is going to be bumper to bumper.

From September 11 in the evening till 2 PM september 17 (Yom Kippur) public transportation is on regular schedule.

Level Contributor
21,537 posts
48 reviews
5. Re: Travel On Rosh Hashanah

You are perfectly right Eryria. Sorry for not checking the calendar.

West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
314 posts
110 reviews
6. Re: Travel On Rosh Hashanah

Thank you both very much. We would not arrive until Sept 10 and are arranging pick up at the airport. It sounds like if we are going to go anywhere on the Saturday right after Rosh H. we should get there before sundown to avoid the traffic?

Israel
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Travel On Rosh Hashanah

Depends where you are going to be, where you want to go and what kind of transportation you plan to use. Could you furnish us with more details so we will be able to assist you better?

Also, you really don't need to arrange any pick up from the airport. Taxi service from the airport is well organized and always available.

Edited: 2:45 pm, March 13, 2010
West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
314 posts
110 reviews
8. Re: Travel On Rosh Hashanah

Thank you all again. Frankly I am seeing that the time of year I am coming to Israel is not the best time to come (as many of you have told me) but it is when I can get away. I was in Israel many many years ago and don't expect this to be my last trip.

Let me also say that I have never had a bad trip or vacation in my life. As long as I am out of my work enviornment I am quite content and can deal with anything.

I arrive in Israel quite early in the morning on the last day of Rosh H. which is September 10 from London after a flight from Los Angeles. Due to what we want to see and the holidays we will most likely begin in Haifa. While I realize that is a relative distance from Ben Gurion it is as I remember a lovely walking city and a good place to relax from jet lag and spend the last day of Rosh H when so much is closed anyway. The next day which is Saturday we rent a car and will go to Akko and then probably to Nazareth for an overnight. So that is where we will be driving.......maybe we will linger along the way but from what you are all telling me Saturday evening will have very bad traffic. So I am guessing we should get to Nazareth or wherever we decide to go before sundown on Saturday because the traffic will not start until the Sabbathends...........correct? It is also possible we will stay someplace else that Saturday evening but where ever we wind up it will be in the North. Maybe traffic will not be as bad up there?

As for transport from the airport I thought since it is a holiday, there are holiday add ons on the fare, it will be very early in the morning and we are going to Haifa as opposed to Jerusalem or Tel Aviv it would be less hassle to just arrange the airport pickup in advance. That way the driver will know exactly where we are going, etc. I thought it might be difficult to get a driver to take us to Haifa and also have one that knows on the spur of the moment where the hotel is even though we will have the address. If you destination folk say it will make no difference then we won't pre arrange the pick up............it is pretty expensive anyway. It is also possible we will rent the car at Ben Gurion but I would really rather not have to drive after two long filghts.

Thank you.

Edited: 6:34 pm, March 13, 2010
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
40,816 posts
39 reviews
9. Re: Travel On Rosh Hashanah

The taxi company that serves the airport has drivers who are all willing to go anywhere in the country. That is part of their job. It is NOT like in the US where drivers tell you no!

Level Contributor
21,537 posts
48 reviews
10. Re: Travel On Rosh Hashanah

There is also a shared taxi service to Haifa from the airport which you might wish to check.