We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vaccination required to travel to Israel?

Täby
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Vaccination required to travel to Israel?

Is some kind of vaccination good to take before coming to Israel? I plan to stay for a long time.

I come from Sweden.

I eat a lot of vegetables and fruits. They are probably washed with water. Is their any potential sickness that can spread through this?

Is the tap water used in Israel safe to drink? For example in Malta water is buyed on bottles.

Thanks!

Anders Branderud

bloganders.blogspot.com

Finland
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Vaccination required to travel to Israel?

Hepatit A is recommended, and tetanus should be in order (a shot every ten years).

Wash or peel the fruit.

I´ve eaten anything in Israel, also directly from a street stand, including ice cream and yoghurt. No stomach troubles.

Trevlig resa!

Finland
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vaccination required to travel to Israel?

About the water: I think tap water (direkt ur kran) is as good as in Sweden.

YZD
Toronto
Level Contributor
585 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vaccination required to travel to Israel?

Good idea to have the Hepatitis A vaccination. MD's here in Canada have suggested that as well. Also, mosquito repellent is wise to have, as there have been numerous incidents of West Nile Virus. There was a significant outbreak of measles last year in Jerusalem (Ultra-Orthodox neigbbourhoods in particualr), so a possible vaccination against that couldn't hurt if you are born post 1956.

www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite…

Level Contributor
21,533 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vaccination required to travel to Israel?

Basically the main thing would be a vaccination against the brashness of some people and directness of others. But I doubt you can find that. Fred lives in Ra'anana and I doubt he's had an hepatitis A vaccination in yonkers. I surely haven't.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,985 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vaccination required to travel to Israel?

Numerous incidents of West Nile Virus??? In Israel?? You must be dreaming.

One needs no vaccinations and the tap water is fine. Same wih vegetables and fruit. Of course one should wash them, but not peel (peel bananas and oranges) because the vitamins and other goodies are in the peel.

I wonder where people get their ideas about places.

YZD
Toronto
Level Contributor
585 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Vaccination required to travel to Israel?

Shoshi, it's not a dream, 35 died from it alone in 2000.

The numerous cases of West Nile Virus in Israel were reported by the Israel Ministry of Health, Israel Ministry of the Environment, The Centre for Disease Control in the US, and the World Health Organization. By the way, Canada also has numerous cases of it every year.

http://www.sviva.gov.il/bin/en.jsp?enPage=e_BlankPage&enDisplay=view&enDispWhat=Object&enDispWho=News^l4238&enZone=e_news

www.cdc.gov/ncidod/EID/vol7no4/weinberger.htm

For those travelling to Israel or any other country for that matter, it is recommended to check with your MD or a travel medical clinic.

Level Contributor
21,533 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vaccination required to travel to Israel?

From the tourism Ministry website Health Regulations - I couldn't have put it better myself. I can't recall there being a case of west Nile fever in the last few years.

No vaccinations are required for visitors to Israel.

Israel is an entirely western country with an advanced level of health care, diagnosis and medicine that is the envy of much of the world and on a par with the best of North America and Western Europe. Almost everyone in the health care field – from pharmacists to physicians to nurses – understands and speaks good English.

As for all international travel, visitors to Israel should have travel insurance that covers them in case of illness or hospitalization. Pharmacies in Israel are to be found everywhere and are very well stocked with drug store items and all the over-the-counter medicines you may need.

Should you become ill during your trip, your hotel front desk can arrange for a doctor to visit you in your room, and prescribe medication if necessary. If you are staying with friends or family, they will be able to refer you to their local clinic. In case of serious illness or injury, the emergency rooms at Israel’s hospitals are western standard and you will receive the finest medical care.

YZD
Toronto
Level Contributor
585 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Vaccination required to travel to Israel?

Israel is very advanced in medicine and medical technology however, virulent diseases in the safest of countries can alway occur. As there is no vaccine to prevent West Nile Virus, it is just advisable to wear mosquito repellant to prevent potential exposure. Unfortunately Israel is at higher risk to avian borne diseases as she serves as a migrating route for countless bird species from Europe and Siberia to Africa. (Agamon and Hula Nature Reserve)

From the Israel Ministry of the Environment in 2008:

"These recent findings accompany additional findings by the Ministry of Health regarding cases of West Nile virus in humans in these and adjacent areas. The findings point to a risk of wide distribution of the West Nile virus in the Netanya-Kadima-Taibe areas and their environs and obligate strict surveillance to prevent the hatching of mosquitoes.

Dr. Uri Shalom, head of the Pest Control Division in the Ministry of Environmental Protection, calls on local authorities in the area and on the North Sharon Association of Towns for Pest Control, to dry up standing pools of water, remove weeds from canals, conduct comprehensive monitoring of all water bodies and undertake pest control wherever mosquitoes are discovered.

The public in general and the public residing in these infected areas specifically is called on to take steps to reduce mosquito populations in their private property by drying up water sources in yards, roofs and shelters and notifying local authorities about mosquito hazards in public areas. Similarly, the public should protect itself from mosquito bites by installing screens in house windows and using mosquito repellants in areas infested by mosquitoes."

Visitors to this Forum should not rely on the medical opinions expressed by contributors. Your Doctor is the only reliable source.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,985 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vaccination required to travel to Israel?

With all due respect to your findings I still think vaccinations are not needed. One should keep in mind that vaccinations have their own side effects. So weighting pros and cons is important.

YZD
Toronto
Level Contributor
585 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Vaccination required to travel to Israel?

I think the recommended answer to the poster, and all others enquiring in the future, would be to speak to their medical doctor.