We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place for a good breakfast

Hamm
Level Contributor
89 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Place for a good breakfast

Shalom,

as we are arriving very early at Tel Aviv Airport we would like to have a good breakfast. But not on the Airport. We have a rental car and will head directly to the Dead Sea. Has anyone a good suggestion for a good meal on this route. Thank You a lot.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Place for a good breakfast

How early?

Hamm
Level Contributor
89 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Place for a good breakfast

We arriving 9 AM, so maybe, after picking up luggage and taking the rental car, it could really be a little bit late for breakfast.

But still to early for lunch. To maybe in Israel there is something as an late breakfast or just a meantime-snack. But I have no idea where to take it.

Maybe at the highway?

israel
Destination Expert
for Mitspe Ramon
Level Contributor
734 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Place for a good breakfast

You could stop in Abu Gosh for a vegetarian (or meat) meal middle eastern style or as they call it there Lebanese style - Humous, Labane (soft goat cheese dip) lots and lots of salads and of course fresh Pita bread. This is about 20 minutes up the road from Ben Gurion towards Jerusalem. If you want accurate instructions post here and I or some one else will post back.

Adam

Hamm
Level Contributor
89 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Place for a good breakfast

Oh that sounds really mouthwatering. I love the kitchen of the middle east. Where is that place exactly? Is it affordable. In Europe many places directly at a motorway have not very good food for big money. Is this different in Israel?

How are the costs of food generally. I mean how much is for example one Falafel or a meal?

israel
Destination Expert
for Mitspe Ramon
Level Contributor
734 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Place for a good breakfast

This village is just off the main highway and the food is both very good and also affordable. In general food in Israel is good even in the very small places. A Fallafell will cost 12-15 NIS depending on where you get it.

The Macdonalds index places Israel's hamburger as one of the most expensive in the world. Maybe we are just used to it. I was in Belgium a few years ago and was shocked at the price of food there ?!

A good meal at an average restaurant, without wine, will be abot 120-150 NIS per head. A Shwarma in a Pita will be around 20-25 NIS amd on a plate will be about 35 NIS.

A hamburger with chips and a cold drink is, if I remember correctly as I hardly touch the stuff, about 45-50 NIS.

Many of the roadside stops these days have franchise coffee shops that do salads and sandwiches etc which are really quite good - places like Arcaffe, CaffeNeto, Segafredo, Aroma etc..

Israelis love to eat on the move and it is very easy to get good reasonable snacks as you go.

Enjoy

Adam

Level Contributor
21,533 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Place for a good breakfast

Adam's suggestion is a very good one. From Ben Gurion, follow signs to Jerusalem. once on road no 1 to Jerusalem, follow it until Hemed Junction and from there follow signs to Abu Gosh

This is one of the restaurants you can find there http://www.caravan-inn.co.il/

or this

http://www.abugosh-restaurant.co.il/len/

and also the two Abu Shukris who claim to have the best hummous ever.

Enjoy!

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Place for a good breakfast

I agree that Abu Gosh is a good place for a late breakfast. be sure to know your way - you have to get off thehighway and drive into the village.

In case you want something else - let me suggest some other options.

Many coffee shops in israel serve a big breakfast of eggs, bread, cheese, Israeli salad (finely cut tomatoes, cucumbers and more), juice and coffee. It is served till noon, in in some places all day long.

Locations along you route (look at www.maps.google.com):

Air Cafe in Airport City

restaurants-in-israel.co.il/showartical.aspx…

This is the nearest place to the airport (in case you are really hungry). It is located in Airport City which is a new business center near the airport. To find the location search google maps for airport city israel. Onece you find it add the street name : arava st.

There is a shopping mall in Mevaseret Zion on your route to Jerusalem. Aroma cafe inside the mall serves breakfast. When you reach Harel interchange on route 1 you can see the big mall on your left. Get off route 1 at the interchange and take a left turn in the direction of Mevaseret Zion.

8. Re: Place for a good breakfast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, October 06, 2009