We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to drive from Tel Aviv to Eilat by myself?

4 posts
Save Topic
Is it safe to drive from Tel Aviv to Eilat by myself?

I’m a solo female traveler. I will stay few more days in Israel, so I’m thinking about exploring the southern desert and Eilat. Is it safe to drive there by myself? How is the road conditions? I noticed it will be a little hot recently, would that be a problem?

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
8 replies to this topic
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to drive from Tel Aviv to Eilat by myself?

Or should I take public transportation?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
18,711 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to drive from Tel Aviv to Eilat by myself?

Yes, it is safe, road conditions are fine - as to the heat - all cars have air conditioning and you should always make sure to have plenty of water with you and to drink much more than you think you need.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,931 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to drive from Tel Aviv to Eilat by myself?

Driving is safe. What you should not do is hike alone in the desert. There are plenty of places to stop, even take short 10-15 minute walks, visitors centers, camel treks and if course water sports and snorkeling in the Red Sea.

Chana

Israel

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe to drive from Tel Aviv to Eilat by myself?

Short walk is fine m, right? And staying Eilat for two nights is also safe?

Mentioned in this post
Eilat
Eilat
Southern District, Israel
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,360 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe to drive from Tel Aviv to Eilat by myself?

As long as you don't go way off the beaten track, where if you might have an accident nobody would be able to find you.

And yes of course it's safe to stay in Eilat for two nights. Why wouldn't it be? It's a beach resort, popular with singles, couples, families, tourists, Israelis... Use the same common sense you would use anywhere else (don't go alone down dark alleys, don't leave your valuables lying around - none of this has anything to do with Eilat or Israel specifically, it's just normal precautions for anywhere in the world) and you'll be fine.

Mentioned in this post
Eilat
Eilat
Israel
Israel
Middle East
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe to drive from Tel Aviv to Eilat by myself?

And I'm also only 24. Is there any fee I need to pay if I rent a car?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
18,711 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe to drive from Tel Aviv to Eilat by myself?

That is something you need to check at the various rental companies. Some will rent to a 24 year old, others have a cut off of 25

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
335 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it safe to drive from Tel Aviv to Eilat by myself?

Regarding your valuables in Eilat: I though I was prudent when I went swimming and took my car key with me, like always. I didn't think about the fact that the key wasn't just a chip key, but it had buttons on it to open and close the car door. The first night the key still worked fine, but after the second day' swimming, I broke the key, could unlock the door by hand but couldn't start the car. I'm not sure how much Hertz charged me this. It might have been only $17, or even $10. (I got those charges with no explanation, and no other charge that could be for the key.)

The swimming and snorkeling and especially the fish are much better south on Egypt Road, like Migdalor Beach for example, but the restaurants and nightlife is much much better on the Promenade next to north beach, like Hananya Beach. Even shops are open late. I had trouble finding either paid or free parking, but somehow this past April I found iiuc free unpaved unorganized parking, but looking at the satellite view, I can't figure out where that was**. And there is a small paid lot on the north side of the Eilat Bazar, but it might well be full. Google does show paid parking a bit farther east, at 8 Antib Road Parking and one other place. And zooming in more shows even more. **Maybe it's the brown area to the right of Dominoes Pizza, but satellite views are years old and things change, and even that lot was almost full when I got there. Less so when I left. BTW, you're as safe as anywhere in the world.

Mentioned in this post
Eilat
Eilat
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Migdalor Beach
Migdalor Beach
101 Reviews
Eilat, Israel
Reply to: Is it safe to drive from Tel Aviv to Eilat by myself?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted