We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Israel middle August 2018

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Visiting Israel middle August 2018

Hi

I am aware it is quite hot at this time. But are there any other reasons this could be a bad time to visit as far as anything being closed (other than Shabbat) or too busy?

Thank you

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
18,695 posts
1. Re: Visiting Israel middle August 2018

There are no religious holidays in August. However, July and August are the school summer vacation, so many places will be full of Israeli families.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
2. Re: Visiting Israel middle August 2018

Thank you. That will be fine.

2 posts
3. Re: Visiting Israel middle August 2018

If you are fine with the weather then you are set. No religious holidays in august. September is a whole different story.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
4. Re: Visiting Israel middle August 2018

Hi

Maybe I am under-estimating the heat? We are fairly good travelers in most circumstance, but is the heat something that is "stifling" and won't allow us to do some outside activities (visit Old City Jerusalem, Masada, Dead Sea, Camel ride)? Thank you

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
20,025 posts
119 reviews
5. Re: Visiting Israel middle August 2018

Without knowing where you are from we cannot make relevant comparisons - but no, the heat is not that stifling. Thousands of people visit here in August, because that is when they have time, and they tour all over and enjoy and survive to tell about the amazing time they had here.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
18,695 posts
6. Re: Visiting Israel middle August 2018

Nobody here knows your tolerance for heat. One person's unbearable is another's comfortably warm. Jerusalem is up in the mountains and therefore a lot cooler than somewhere like Tiberias, which is below sea level and gets very hot and humid.

Plenty of tourists visit in August, whether from choice or because it's the only time they can do it because of work commitments or whatever, and they survive.

If you are not used to going out in strong sunshine, you should cover up (I don't mean burkas.... but long pants and long sleeves as protection from the sun), wear broad-brimmed hats, and use plenty of sunscreen on the parts that are not covered. And drink far more water than you think you need. Tap water is safe to drink everywhere in Israel (except in some national parks in desert areas, where the taps are for washing hands and feet and if it's not drinking water it will be marked as such).

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
7. Re: Visiting Israel middle August 2018

Thank you so much!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
172 reviews
8. Re: Visiting Israel middle August 2018

Jerusalem tends to be cooler as it is higher up and less humid. The Dead Sea is a very dry heat, like Nevada. Tel Aviv and the Galilee will be hot and humid. As a Londoner, I find the heat bearbale and a nice change from the cold and damp of home!

Being from Chicago I don't think it will be anything you can't cope with.

9. Re: Visiting Israel middle August 2018

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, November 03, 2018