We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drinking Water

US East Coast
Level Contributor
149 posts
3 reviews
Drinking Water

One more question for my upcoming trip if you would not mind..........

My understanding is that, as someone that is from the U.S. and has a system that is used to the treatment of water here, the water in Israel is fine to drink;however, the minerals that are used to treat it might take a bit of adjustment and could cause some a bit of queasiness. As my system is sensitive, I would likely try to stick to bottled water, at least in the beginning.

Question: Does the above apply to boiled water as well or just to cold water? Just wondering if I wanted to drink a cup of tea, if the boiling would somehow negate the potential mineral-related issues or whether I would need to have tea made with bottled water as well.

Thank you so much!

19 replies to this topic
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
391 posts
51 reviews
1. Re: Drinking Water

Boiling will not affect mineral content.

However, it is often an issue of unfamiliar bacteria--not harmful to locals or those acculturated, but not tolerated by visitors. So I think given quality of Israel's water you would be fine drinking tea/ coffee with regular water.

I also have a very sensitive stomach and for years when I visited Israel I was careful to drink bottled water (but regular coffee/ tea.) My last trip (2015) I drank regular water at friends' homes and a few restaurants and ended up getting sick. So for my next trip I will go back to drinking bottled water. (But again, fine with regular coffee/ tea.)

Israel
Level Contributor
3,834 posts
631 reviews
2. Re: Drinking Water

Most of the people I know and see drink bottled water primarily.

It's been discussed here before- I'm sure that our friends will weigh in soon.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
41,664 posts
41 reviews
3. Re: Drinking Water

At home, in Israel, I drink bottled water because I prefer,the taste. In restaurants and at friends I drink tap water and have never had any problems. Except for Nodedet on this,thread, I can't remember anyone writing on these forums that they became ill due to the water.

As an aside, even in places where you can't drink the water, after boiling it is okay. I.e. I was just in Morocco where we brushed our teeth with bottled water, but had no problems with coffee or tea.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
39 reviews
4. Re: Drinking Water

Whenever I travel any distance from home I drink bottled water the first day. It gives my "system" the opportunity to get used to whatever different bacteria are in the new-to-me tap water, as I consume in produce, teeth brushing, etc. Then I drink tap water, assuming I like the way it tastes.

Works for me, in Israel as elsewhere.

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
4,752 posts
336 reviews
5. Re: Drinking Water

Tap water fine in Israel as it is treated.

Edited: 1:47 am, February 07, 2017
Modi'in-Maccabim-Re...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
18,725 posts
323 reviews
6. Re: Drinking Water

Tap water is fine to drink, but of course you are entitled to drink bottled water. Just a side note, when visiting certain areas of the country like Zichron Yaakov, the Hula Valley and Ein Gedi, the water in the bottles and the water in the tap/faucet are from the an identical source that has been treated through reverse osmosis. In Eilat you may want bottled water as the desalinated water may taste a bit more salty than you are accustomed to.

Chana

Israel

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
13,636 posts
29 reviews
7. Re: Drinking Water

Tap water in Israel is of higher quality than in US and most Western European countries. IMO, Nodedet, like few others do get their stomachs spoilt somehow, but water has nothing to do with it. Many visitors aren't used to the various veggie, spicey dishes here. Plus, unfortunate combinations of the foods/dishes eaten could cause effects as well.

Yuri.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,591 posts
239 reviews
8. Re: Drinking Water

In sixteen trips, I have had the tap water without problem. But I don't have an overly sensitive stomach, as you do. Do you drink bottled water when traveling to different parts of the US away from home? If so, I would in Israel. If not, I don't think you'll see a difference.

I head to Guangzhou, China on Saturday -- there, I will use bottled water for everything. But it's different.

Douglas Duckett

US East Coast
Level Contributor
149 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: Drinking Water

Thank you everyone!

It's not so much that my stomach is sensitive as it is my system in general - allergies to medications, sensitivity to caffeine, etc. I have travelled throughout the U.S., Hawaii, and Europe and always had tap water without an issue. Just wanted to verify whether Israel would be the same. Based on the above, my plan would be to drink bottled water the first couple of days but use tap water for teeth brushing, etc. Once my system adjusts, will give a bit of tap water a try - perhaps a mix of tap water and bottled water.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
20,025 posts
119 reviews
10. Re: Drinking Water

Your plan sounds fine - if you come from a place that has very soft water you may find the water here tastes and also feels different - the water in Israel is hard, but there is also a lot of desalinated water in the national water system too.

Reply to: Drinking Water
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted