We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gallipoli, Troy, Ephesus by bus

Which Selcuk hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Gallipoli, Troy, Ephesus by bus

Hi, my friend and I are travelling to Turkey in May from England. We are planning on 5 days in Istanbul, then possibly doing a 2 day tour to Gallipoli and Troy. I am keen to visit Ephesus also but as she has visited Ephesus previously she will return to England before me. What is the best bus route to get to Ephesus from presumably Canakkale, how long is the journey and will a middle-aged single lady be safe on her own? Or should I hire a car and drive myself?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,496 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gallipoli, Troy, Ephesus by bus

You would be perfectly safe alone.As a solo female you would be seated near the front of the bus and either alone or beside another woman-never ever a man.Onboard staff are very helpful and would look after you well.

Truva Turizm have a bus from Çanakkale direct to Selçuk but it is a night bus (at least you save a nights hotel fee!!).

If this doesn't appeal then you can take a bus with several other companies as far as Izmir and change there to the local bus to Selçuk.The total journey time is 7 hours.

I have travelled alone by bus over a great deal of Turkey with absolutely no problems,to the contrary,I have found the service excellent,cheap and safe.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gallipoli, Troy, Ephesus by bus

Thank you Sarikanarya, the more posts I am reading, the more I want to see of Turkey. I am Australian and this is my first trip to Turkey. I only have 10 days, as previously stated. With 5 days in Istanbul and 5 spare days can I do Gallipoli, Troy, Ephesus, Pamukkale and Afrodisias in that time or is that too much and I should restrict my places so that I have time to enjoy the sights without rushing?

Istanbul
Level Contributor
615 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gallipoli, Troy, Ephesus by bus

Dianne S, Not being from Oz, I may a different perspective than you about Gallipoli then Troy. Both highly overrated, in my opinion. I would suggest Istanbul then cheap flight to Selcuk (for Ephesus) day trip to Pamukkale and Aphrodias Return flight to Istanbul.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,496 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gallipoli, Troy, Ephesus by bus

I too am rather ....meh about Troy but Gallipolli is a must see,I can understand.To fit all this into 5 days I would see Gallipolli and drop Troy in favour of having more time to see the other sites.I think that night bus would be a good idea too to save daytime for sight seeing.

On the day you arrive in Selçuk visit Ephesus and stay the night in Selçuk.

Early next morning take the train to Denizli for Pamukkale and spend the afternoon looking around.

Aphrodisias is a pain to reach by bus so ask your hotel to book you onto a day tour going there,they are actually quite good and cheap too.

You can then travel back to Istanbul that evening either by overnight bus or fly from Denizli airport back to Atatürk airport.Flights are not very expensive and of course the AUD$ rate is very good right now :)

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,601 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gallipoli, Troy, Ephesus by bus

You've had the best possible advice here already, but since you mention renting a car, that would simplify things if you can cope with the expense. In particular, it would allow you to get to Troy and Aphrodisias without a tiresome tour group. The Gallipoli Peninsula is a great place to drive around, though it is the one place in Turkey where a guide can be very useful (shoot me down, everyone else).

I happen to be in Canakkale today. and though I've been to the memorial sites many times before, this time I'm determined to find a decent map of the peninsula before I get on the ferry across the Dardanelles tomorrow.

The one-way rental (Istanbul- Izmir airport) adds cost, of course, and don't think of driving in Istanbul itself.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gallipoli, Troy, Ephesus by bus

Thank you for your advice, I was half-hearted about Troy in the beginning, you have decided it for me, I will forego it to have more time for the other venues.

Dianne

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gallipoli, Troy, Ephesus by bus

Thank you for your advice, I think I will try to avoid hiring a car and look at a combination of bus and train options, see how I go!

Dianne

Malaysia
Level Contributor
582 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Gallipoli, Troy, Ephesus by bus

Do you have any recommendation for tour agent or company to Aphrodisias? Roughly how much does it cost?

9. Re: Gallipoli, Troy, Ephesus by bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 01, 2015