We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Izmir Airport to Selcuk via public transportation

United States
Level Contributor
143 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Izmir Airport to Selcuk via public transportation

Hi

How can I get from Izmir Airport (Adnan Menderes) to Selcuk via public transport? I land at 10am on a Monday.

Both these websites say there isn't a train until 11:45. Am I reading this right? http://www.selcukephesus.com/trains.html

tcdd.gov.tr/Upload/…basmanesokeaydin.htm

Is there a bus that we can take? I'd rather not take a taxi because it's quite expensive. Thanks!

-Hunter

Mentioned in this post
Izmir
Izmir
Izmir Province, Turkey
The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Izmir Airport to Selcuk via public transportation

You could take a taxi to Gaziemir and then bus (every 40 mins) to Selcuk - selcukefes.org/selcuk-izmir__selcuk-gaziemir…

United States
Level Contributor
143 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Izmir Airport to Selcuk via public transportation

Thanks -- that's exactly what I will do! My impression is that Gaziemir is about ten minutes from Izmir airport. Is that about right? The dolmus station is right next to the Tansas supermarket, right?

Mentioned in this post
Izmir
Izmir
Izmir Province, Turkey
The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Izmir Airport to Selcuk via public transportation

I haven't done it myself, I'm not sure where the bus stop is, the taxi driver will know, I guess.

California, USA
Level Contributor
466 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Izmir Airport to Selcuk via public transportation

And you're not flying in through one of the airlines with the free shuttle (like AtlasJet) right?

Southern California
Level Contributor
111 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Izmir Airport to Selcuk via public transportation

I'm planning something similar, and the train won't work for me either. However, I will only need transportation from Selcuk back to the airport. Does anyone know how likely it is that there will be taxis at the Gaziemir station?

Does the bus to the Izmir Otogar stop anywhere near the airport or does it bypass it altogether? I would prefer to spend as much time as possible in the Selcuk area, and I noticed that these buses run later.

I'm trying to decide whether the trip I have in mind can be done by public transport or whether I need to rent a car.

Mentioned in this post
Selcuk
Selcuk
Izmir Province, Turkey
Izmir
Izmir
Izmir Province, Turkey
Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
40,068 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Izmir Airport to Selcuk via public transportation

Hunter S and budget_tavelz, Both Atlas Jet and Onur Air have free shuttle services between the airport and Selcuk and back. Also Pegasus Airlines shuttle service costs 20 TL each way. If you are using one of these airlines, simply use these shuttle services. Here is my recent trip report to Selcuk/Ephesus. "tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k5874…".

good luck,

enigma...

Mentioned in this post
Selcuk
Selcuk
Izmir Province, Turkey
Southern California
Level Contributor
111 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Izmir Airport to Selcuk via public transportation

Thank you for the advice, Enigma. Unfortunately, none of the airlines with free shuttles have flights back to Istanbul that leave late enough to suit me. I've been "playing" online with all the different possibilities, and while I can (and will since I've already booked the flight) fly to Izmir with AtlasJet, I will have to fly back with Turkish Airlines.

It doesn't seem that there is any easy and inexpensive way to get back to the airport. A car rental is beginning to look very attractive. I'll be posting about car rental/driving on another thread. I've already taken too much advantage of the original poster's patience.

Mentioned in this post
Izmir
Izmir
Izmir Province, Turkey
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
657 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Izmir Airport to Selcuk via public transportation

My flight lands at 18:05. I am coming from overseas and connecting in Munich, so I will have to go through customs, pay the visa, grab my luggage, etc. I plan on catching the last train at 19:30 to Selcuk. If for some reason I miss the train, what is my best alternative this time of night? Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Izmir Airport to Selcuk via public transportation

If you miss the last train then take a taxi into Gaziemir and pick up the bus there as explained earlier in the thread.Last bus is c.20.40.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
40,068 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Izmir Airport to Selcuk via public transportation

marrc, welcome to Turkey.

You will definitely catch the last train at 19.30 to Selcuk. No worries. 1.5 hours is a long time to clear the airport. However if by a remote chance you miss the train, then simply use the Pegasus Airlines or Sun Express Airlines shuttle services from the airport to Selcuk. They both are 20 TL/person. No need to take a taxi anywhere. Have a look. "www.sunexpress.com/en/content/servis-814".

enigma...

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Selcuk
Selcuk
Izmir Province, Turkey