We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone take the train from Izmir Airport to Selcuk?

Which Selcuk hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
428 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone take the train from Izmir Airport to Selcuk?

Just thought I should post this in Selcuk forum as it seems to be a busier place than the Izmir forum!

Has anyone taken the train from Izmir Airport to Selcuk? I'm balking at the 75 YTL the hotel will charge me. That's more than the cost of the room. Is the train hard to find? Too slow? The schedule shown in Turkey Travel planner has it as (more or less) an hour and a half ride. Thanks!

Victoria BC
Level Contributor
170 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone take the train from Izmir Airport to Selcuk?

Yes, I have taken it twice. I arrived via Munich and the train to Selcuk left shortly after clearing customs, so there was no waiting. You will need some Turkish money for the ticket, which you can purchase on the platform but I also saw people buying the tickets on the train.

There is a walkway from the airport over the tracks and down to the platform - not too hard even with luggage.

Ask and make sure you get the train going in the right direction or you will end up in Izmir.

This is not some spiffy comuter train, but a local no-nonsense mover of people, unless things have been greatly upgraded in the last few years. On my last trip it was very crowede but someone offered my wife a seat, but then a Turkish woman sat in her lap so she could talk to someone near by - all with good humour. It will be an unusual but memorable (in a good way) Turkish experience that few others will share.

The alternative, if you are thrifty, is to walk from the airport to the highway - ignoring the cab drivers at the airport and the ones parked on the highway where the airport road connects. Go to the far side of the road and flag down a bus. I timed the walk and it is about 20 minutes of fairly brisk walking, depending on how hot it is.

The train arrives right at the edge of the village centre - very handy and you can walk to any hotel.

Then, take the lira you have saved and have a nice dinner and a few Efes.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
428 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone take the train from Izmir Airport to Selcuk?

I’m hoping that the train departure will coordinate well with my flight: I checked the schedule on TTP (is this up to date, anyone know?) and it looks like it could depending on which flight I book. Since I’m flying in from Istanbul there will be no customs to deal with, therefore I need just collect my suitcase and find the train. Not sure how much time I should allow between flight arrival time and catching the train: there is 45 minutes between for the flight I am considering.

Just in case it doesn’t work out, would you know how frequently that bus runs? Thanks again…

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
428 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone take the train from Izmir Airport to Selcuk?

Bumping in hopes of getting more information!

Victoria BC
Level Contributor
170 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone take the train from Izmir Airport to Selcuk?

I remember that there seemed to be lots of buses on the highway, and unless things have changed you could just flag one down. They may not say they are going to Selcuk, as many will be going to other destinations but passing through, so they will drop you off at the otogar (station), which is within walking distance of the majority of hotels. Or, hope that your hotel is not too stuck on squeezing you for 75L and maybe they can give you more information.

I used to get good local information from Ludwina at the Dekorativ carpet shop, but their web page is not fully functional. However, if you search for them on the net, you will find a contact email address, and she will likely help you.

Or, change hotels and find one that will give you good local information.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone take the train from Izmir Airport to Selcuk?

just so that you know...the travel time between Selcuk and Izmir airport is about 50 minutes. the hotel that we stayed at earlier this year quotes 80 liras for their transfers. So 75 YTL is resonable. A private taxi will cost you more !!!!

dont know about the train but logically the train would be slower than a car. If you have time take the train.....

6. Re: Anyone take the train from Izmir Airport to Selcuk?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 am, September 13, 2009