We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do at Istanbul Airport for 9 hour layover !

2 posts
What to do at Istanbul Airport for 9 hour layover !

Hi guys;

i have 9 hours of layover time in Istanbul airport (Ataturk) started at 9:00 Am until 6:00 PM. Well is there anything interesting that one can do in the city during this short time?

I'm Iranian citizen and also my bags will directly go to the next transit flight so i don't have to waste time over my bags.

Thanks for your quick response :)

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: What to do at Istanbul Airport for 9 hour layover !

Welcome to the forum AmirE.Are you flying both legs of your journey with Turkish Airlines?If so you can take advantage of their free city tours which are excellent.

turkishairlines.com/en-int/corporate/announc…

If you aren't elegible for these then you can make your own way into the city by metro and tram system direct from the airport and back again.

What would you like to see or do?Do you want to see the ancient city section of Sultanahmet with Blue Mosque,Hagia Sofia etc.,or would you rather see the more modern part of Beyoğlu and Taksim etc.?Knowing this we can suggest a nice itinery for you for a few hours.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
105 posts
24 reviews
2. Re: What to do at Istanbul Airport for 9 hour layover !

Wow, that is great - I sure wish we had a longer layover! What I'm worried about is our short connection, about 1.5 hours - we will need to clear customs as coming in from Canada. We are flying business class so luggage should come out first but should I be worrying? I'm also bummed we won't have time to check out the great looking lounge...

2 posts
3. Re: What to do at Istanbul Airport for 9 hour layover !

Hi sarikanarya;

thank you very much for this, Yes I am flying both legs of my journey with Turkish Airlines, I just wanna know how can i use this service? shall I go to the Turkish air line upon arrive at Ataturk airport or what ? and the another thing is as I said I've Iranian passport, Is there any requirement document like visa etc. ?

thanks a lot again

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
42,229 posts
67 reviews
4. Re: What to do at Istanbul Airport for 9 hour layover !

Amir, after you clear customs make a right and go to Turkish Airlines hotel/tour desk at the arrivals hall. Here is the free guided tour programs. "istanbulinhours.com".

Iranian citizens are exempt from visa for 90 days.

Enigma...

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
42,229 posts
67 reviews
5. Re: What to do at Istanbul Airport for 9 hour layover !

Geordiegirl63, If your connection is from an international to a domestic route, then you can still have luggage checked through domestic Turkish destination in Canada. In this case 1.5 hour connection is more managable. Otherwise it is very tight. Make sure you are on a single ticket.

If it is an international connection, make sure you are on a single ticket with your airline for both legs of the fight and to have your luggage checked thr final destination at Canada. In this case you will just use the transit area without a visa. Otherwise, if you collect your luggage at Istanbul, Canadian eVisa costs 60 USD: "www.evisa.gov.tr".

good luck,

enigma...

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: What to do at Istanbul Airport for 9 hour layover !

There you are Amir;answered without even opening my mouth :)

The most appropriate one for you is the 09.00-15.00 tour but the only problem I can see here is .....is 09.00 your landing time?Or is 09.00 the time you expect it to be once you have gone through landing clearance and are free to leave the airport?

The tours leave pretty promtly and also arrive back promptly too but they cannot be reserved in advance,you just turn and up and join them.If your ETA is 09.00 then I think you'll miss that which is a pity.

The next one starting at 12.00 noon arrives back at 18.00.... too late for you :(

If the tours don't fit your times then you could look at the tour itineries and pick out 3-4 things which most appeal to you and then make your own short tour based on their route.If you choose to do that then do let me know if I can help you with that.

Greater London...
2 posts
7. Re: What to do at Istanbul Airport for 9 hour layover !

Eat plenty of Turkish delight.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
41,000 posts
662 reviews
8. Re: What to do at Istanbul Airport for 9 hour layover !

I would be back to the airport by 3 pm as well.

9. Re: What to do at Istanbul Airport for 9 hour layover !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 11, 2017