We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Assistance for disabled at Ataturk Airport

St. Petersburg...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Assistance for disabled at Ataturk Airport

Hello, I've been advised that aerobridges are rare at Istanbul Airport and I'm worried as I can't climb up or down stairs. Does anyone know if Turkish Airline does provide disabled with assisted lifts? I haven't had any success with an online booking with them once I put in that assistance is required!

Thank you

11 replies to this topic
Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,448 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Assistance for disabled at Ataturk Airport

Ataturk Airport is quite new - there's very little chance that you would have to use stairs at all. Escalators and elevators abound, but generally you'll be on the flat - with many travelators too.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
40,997 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Assistance for disabled at Ataturk Airport

Alexa, There is a wheelchair assistance at the airports for those with mobility issues. "https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29397…".

enigma...

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Assistance for disabled at Ataturk Airport

We arrived at Ataturk an a Turkish Airlines flight earlier today. Our aircraft used an air bridge and we had booked special assistance for our arrival. We were met by a lovely staff member using a powered wheelchair that he stood on the back of to drive, and were swiftly taken through passport control and onto baggage claim. The distance involved was quite significant but the service was efficient, professional and invaluable for my mobility impaired husband.

Mount Dora, Florida
Level Contributor
14,158 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Assistance for disabled at Ataturk Airport

I use airport disability services in every place I go. I was surprised that the previous poster had an experience with new equipment. Most of the time the wheelchair that I find at the door of the plane is older and often in poor repair. I actually pay little attention to the equipment because while it may be a bit old, the service is spectacular. There is no airport I have used any where in the world where the people were more pleasant, professional, courteous and helpful.

2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Assistance for disabled at Ataturk Airport

Hi

My mother is travelling from India to montreal via turkish airlines. The flights from delhi to istanbul and then from istanbul to montreal are both from turkish airlines. Is there any assistance available at the airport which would help her to change the flight? She doe not understand english propely so I was wondering if any porter or greet services available which can help her change the flights.

Regards,

Kunal

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
40,997 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Assistance for disabled at Ataturk Airport

Kunal, There is the "Prime Class Meet and Greet Service" offered at Ataturk Airport, for a fee: "ataturkairport.com/en-EN/airportguide/Pages/…". There is also the "meetand greet service" as explained at the following website: "http://www.istanbulmeetandgreetservice.com/".

good luck,

enigma...

Mount Dora, Florida
Level Contributor
14,158 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Assistance for disabled at Ataturk Airport

If your mother notifies Turkish Air that she will require wheelchair service she will be met at the door of the plane by a person with a wheelchair. This person will take your mother to her connecting flight. There is no charge for this service, but I do generously tip the person who pushes my wheelchair.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Assistance for disabled at Ataturk Airport

As Busy-Retired has said there is a free "special assistance" service available at Ataturk. My husband used this during two flights via the airport last summer and we were very impressed. We requested Special Assistance when booking our TA flights and were delighted to see the Agents already at the door of the aircraft as we disembarked. They had electric wheelchairs and whizzed him through the airport, which involved quite some distances between the gate and lounge and onward gate. I was the only one who struggled as i had to walk super fast the whole way to keep up!

I'd highly recommend this service at Ataturk.

2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Assistance for disabled at Ataturk Airport

Thanks alot for ur response and suggestions. One more question, does the Ataturk airport have free open wifi available to use?

Tempe, Arizona
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Assistance for disabled at Ataturk Airport

How much did you tip and in what currency?

Reply to: Assistance for disabled at Ataturk Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted