We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will be in Istanbul for 10 days in Early January Alone

New York City
3 posts
Save Topic
Will be in Istanbul for 10 days in Early January Alone

Looks like this is a great forum and people are very helpful. I am stuck with the following dillemma, maybe someone can give me advice. I booked a trip for myself and my mother but my mother cancelled on me in the last minute. Now I can't change the ticket and I guess I have to go by myself.

Now, I was in Istanbul last summer for 4 days -- had incredible time. I don't mind doing sightseeing in the first couple of days. Not sure what to do in the rest of the days, particularly because i am all by myself. I wonder if you guys know of any place where young, creative, hip international people hang out (cafe, pub??) where I can hang out, possibly meet new people, work a bit on my book. Or any other activities for a single young woman?

Any pointers will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Emilia

istanbul
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Will be in Istanbul for 10 days in Early January Alone

hı fırst whıcj area wıll you stay. ı hope old cıty.but for nıgt ı recommend new cıty centre.and also you can contact proffesıonal advıse poınt.

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will be in Istanbul for 10 days in Early January Alone

Hi Emilia: being in Istanbul alone won't be a problem for you especially since you have been there once before. I am often alone in Istanbul and I find tons of stuff to do. Firstly you can visit all of the malls. The new Kanyon Mall is really fabulous, it even has Hagen Daz ice cream. Other malls like Akmerkaz, are worth a visit as well. After the Kurban Bayram Holiday, the Grand Bazaar and Spice Bazaar will be open again and you can go and shop or just to look. Have some perfume mixed just for you at Spice Bazaar. You can do a public ferry cruise up the Bosphorus to Andalu Kavagi, eat a fish lunch and see the wonderful Byzantine castle there, or you can take the public ferry to Princes Islands and wander about there or take a horse and carriage ride. There are wonderful museums in Istanbul that you can visit www.allaboutturkey.com/ist_muze.htm You can take a day trip to lovely Bursa about 3 hours away by bus, see the Green Mosque, and see the lovely silk items, Bursa is the center of the silk industry. You can also get to Bursa by ferry to Yalova.and then bus. Explore the Asian side of Istanbul, take the public ferry, see wonderful Bagdat Street, shops, cafes or take the nostalgic tram to Moda. Lively Taxim has lots of things to see, shops, bars, restaurants, and people, people, people. About meeting people I can't give any advice but a lot of other posters will be there in your time frame and perhaps you can hook up with them, and I know that others will offer other good suggestions. Don't worry, you'll have a great time. Happy Holidays and Happy Travel, LemonLady

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
69 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will be in Istanbul for 10 days in Early January Alone

Hi

Since you have been 4 days to Istanbul earlier you know some main spots..

So I suggest to stay around Taksim Area..

If you wanna be with some hip places, you can try the "Nisantasi" District and "Bagdat Caddesi" on the Asian side.

Nisantasi is known by ex-pats but not Tourists and also Bagdat Caddesi is popular among the young locals.

Definitely you will witness a different Istanbul in these places..

Suggestions in Nisantasi: Reasurans passage (Several Cafes), Taps bar, Kirinti Cafe, MidPoint, Cafe de Paris, Machka New Yorker..

Suggestions around Bagdat street ( Caddesi) : Kirinti, TGI Friday, Last Stop, N-Joy, Buzz Bar, NorthShields ( Goztepe & Kalamis).

If you need some further info, feel free..

Regards

ERkmen

Marmaris, Turkey
Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Will be in Istanbul for 10 days in Early January Alone

hi ive just read your message on the forum my name is peter from liverpool .england a nd i visited istanbul many many times in fact i used to live in marmaris which is a holiday resort

im in istanbul from the 3rd january for 3 weeks im staying at the lyon hotel if you reqire any advice you can contact me there i also agree taksim is the best place for meeting people .plenty of bars /cafes / clubs and it a very safe area like everywere else in turkey so please dont forget to contact me for any advice my wife often visited istanbul alone and always met new freinds from all over the world sadly she is no longer here so i travel alone

but in istanbul you are never alone long its a wonderful/vibrant city very much like my home town of liverpool

Marmaris, Turkey
Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Will be in Istanbul for 10 days in Early January Alone

the full adress of my hotel is

istanbul lyon hotel

gencurk cad

18 sekbanlar sokak 16

sehzadebasi

New York City
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Will be in Istanbul for 10 days in Early January Alone

Thank you, everyone for kind and very helpful responses. I am looking forward to my trip and am more confident will have great time.

Thank you, again!

Emilia

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,050 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Will be in Istanbul for 10 days in Early January Alone

Hi Lezginka,

Call out for Kozano, Kozano where are you????, she gives always very good info like you ask for here.

My experience is around Istiklal Street, also the small side alleys, many cafe's and bars in that area. Also anywhere near the water is where young people hang out, but as January seems very likely to be cold skip this one.

Then in shoppingmall's restaurants, the lastest new one in called Kanyon, take the metro to Levent and you get out in front, very hip to hang around here in one of the coffee places or restaurants.

'My side' of istanbul is the Anatolian side, true that Bagdat Street is a good option, I hate my coffee being served in a paper cup, but Gloria Jean and Starbuck's are always filled, you have to wait for a table there. Also on the Asian side, easy to cross with the ferry to Kadikoy and walk around the area called Moda, many young people shopping!

Enjoy yourself, as you are familiar with this site I am sure you have also ready about the warnings, not specificly for Istanbul but any large city you could visit.

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Will be in Istanbul for 10 days in Early January Alone

Hi Guys: Yes, Kozano is the one we need here. VR is totally right. So until she posts please look up her wonderful previous suggestions. LL

New York City
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Will be in Istanbul for 10 days in Early January Alone

Guys, are you are amazing. What a great resource. Will be waiting for a tip from Kozano. Also printing all this info out and will be checking all the advised location. The power of community unleashed by the internet, never ceases amazing me...

Tusukler.

Emilia

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Will be in Istanbul for 10 days in Early January Alone

Hi Emilia,

I'm in Istanbul right now, enjoying the food, shopping and certainly the nightlife.

Maybe I can help you with a few suggestions:

Visit Nisantasi, a shopping district not too far from Taksim. There are lots of cafes on Abdi Ipekci street and in the 'reassurance passage there'. Try Zanzibar, Beymen Cafe, Grissini, Kirinti, Leia, Planet.

Bagdat street on the asian side is a great idea for one day. Beautiful cafes, shops, etc. It is a long street, the bit you want is between Goztepe and Suadiye.

Along the Bosphorous one nice area is Ortakoy, right under the bridge, another great area is Bebek. The Starbucks there has the best view and very very cosy. You can walk from Bebek to the Rumeli fortress and just after the fortress is a row of cafes, great for weekend Brunch as well. If you continue (with taxi) along the bosphorous, you can visit the excellent Sabanci museum, current exhibition is Genghiz Khan.

Between Bebek and Ortakoy, in Kurucesme, on the water side of the supermarket Makro, are two great secret cafes Messk cafe is lovely.

Shopping malls in the newer parts of town have great cafes and always meeting points. In Akmerkez I like the home store cafe, in Metrocity there are many cafes, the new Kanyon mall is very good too, Nam nam there is very popular as is the Harvey Nichols bar/cafe.

Around Taksim and Beyoglu. The new trendy/arty area there is Cihangir. A once seedy part of town is very much the latest place to be. I suggest take a taxi there, very difficult to describe where it is, between Taksim Square and the sea, on the slopes of that hill. Along Beyoglu (Istiklal Street) there are numerous cafes on side streets, try them if you like the look of any one, they are very cosy.

All the way, at the end of Istiklal street are a few of my favourite picks. Lebiderya on a side street, on top of a building, near the Dutch embassy. On the other side of the Istiklal street is the Asmalimescit neighbourhood (a copule of streets), sort of behind Markiz patisserie. Loads of bars, cafes, restaurants, again trendy and bohemian.

At the end of Istiklal street is Tunel (a small metro/tram system), just opposite its doors on the other side of the square is a small passage with ivy, vine over it. Go through there and you will see this amazing cafe called Kaave, you can spend many winter hours there happily.

Near Galatasaray (in the same district) is the French Street (Fransiz Sokagi), it is a newly renovated street of old houses on a hill, very cute, a bit new and clean for my taste but very sweet cafes.

Directions to these places, I take a taksi everywhere in Istanbul, convenient and quick. You can take trams and to go to Metrocity and Kanyon take the metro. For asian side, seabus to Bostanci then walk or ferry to Kadikoy and take a dolmus or taxi.

Oh and there is a good exhibition in Istanbul Modern museum - Istanbul - Venice, and there is a Leonardo's drawings exhibit in another museum, you can find out from Time Out Istanbul.

Have fun, let me know if you need more information.