We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What time do shops and Grand Bazaar open?

michigan
Level Contributor
225 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
What time do shops and Grand Bazaar open?

Is there any difference on the weekends versus weekdays? Beside rugs, spices, and jewelry, is there anything else I should try to pick up while in Turkey?

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What time do shops and Grand Bazaar open?

Here's a helpful site: turkeytravelplanner.com/go/…GrandBazaar.html

pashminas, little boxes, tea sets for Turkish tea, candy, "evil eye" keychains, kitchen magnets, art prints, ceramics, and textiles. Lovely wall hangings available in streets around Spice Bazaar. sequinned scarves are a popular gift, or you can have some perfume mixed to order by Orhan in the Spice Bazaar at 31 Misr Carsisi, everyone from the forum who has gone to see him loves his scents, LL

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,956 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What time do shops and Grand Bazaar open?

Hi,

Some great food items you can pick up while you are visiting Turkey is Turkish Delight - Lokum and Pişmaniye which is kind of like a turkish version of cotton candy. Also there are a lot of great hard candies like Akide şeker etc. Turkey also has a selection of great wines from either the Cappadocia region or the Izmir region. Also you may find a great aray of hand-made crafts and knitted projects. Have fun shopping.

michigan
Level Contributor
225 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What time do shops and Grand Bazaar open?

thank you so much canmom and lemonlady!! lemonlady, that website was extremely helpful!!!

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,683 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What time do shops and Grand Bazaar open?

Hi again,

here I have the official website from the Istanbul municipality. You can find all the opening times here.

What to pick up from Turkey??? Maybe sweets made from grape juice with walnuts, it looks loke a sausage. There are very nice lamps to be found in Grand Bazar, olive oil has a very good quality, go for the Sizma. Nice Kütahya ceramics, bowls, plates etc painted, nicely decorated with tulips, flowers, these days fish are popular.

Very nice cushion covers and throws.

And in the Grand Bazar is a artist shop called 'Nick's'.He goes to Florida to collect leaves, he dries them for 1 year them he makes the most beautiful miniatures inspired on Islamic, Jewish and Christian religion, painting on them! Truely very very nice. As it is art, not very cheap, 300 USD for one, but worth it.

And Turkish music! I bought recently 2 cd's called 'East2West' and I can't get enough of the music. The best of these days turksih music compiled on all together 4 cd's each with a certain theme.

Maybe more. then I will post.

Good luck!

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,683 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What time do shops and Grand Bazaar open?

oh dear forget the website

ibb.gov.tr/NR/…

here it is!

michigan
Level Contributor
225 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What time do shops and Grand Bazaar open?

Thank you VR! From the sound of it I will be bringing back some sweets. What about sweaters? Any idea of price range, and would they be wool,silk?

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,683 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What time do shops and Grand Bazaar open?

Hi,

depending on what type of sweaters you mean there is of course a lot to find. In the Grand Bazar it is more like the 'i love Turkey' tourists stuff or the copy D&G whatever.

In shopping malls you can find nice turkish shops, Boyner is easy, a department store with bits of everything. You might be lucky, I think sale has started by then.

Good luck!

michigan
Level Contributor
225 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What time do shops and Grand Bazaar open?

you mentioned the magic word............................sale? Is there some big annual sale? Where is Boyner, and how would I get there?

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,683 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What time do shops and Grand Bazaar open?

Hi Lobsterpies,

I think sale starts somewhere December, and the discount is getting more in January and February.

Boyner department stores are in many shopping malls, metro city is not very far from the old town and can be reached by metro.

www.boyner.com.tr/english/magazalar.html

Sometimes during sale they also give an extra 5% discount when you pay cash.

Enjoy shopping!

10. Re: What time do shops and Grand Bazaar open?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, August 17, 2009