We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mosque headgear

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
1,083 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
mosque headgear

for visiting mosques women must cover their hair. Does it have to be a headcsarf or will a hat do?

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mosque headgear

Hi KB: I usually wear my USA baseball cap in Istanbul just as I do in NY. But for Mosques I usually wrap my ever present pashmina around my head. A headscarf is good too. You should be fine with a hat though. Long sleeved shirt, and longish skirt or pants are also suggested. The Turkish people really appreciate modest attire when visiting Mosques. Happy Travel. LemonLady

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
1,083 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mosque headgear

:D I think in mid feb it will be cold enough to ensure we are quite "modest" in any case!

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
8,971 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mosque headgear

Hi there,

My vision my differ slightly here, I am not sure if it is accepted to wear a hat. The thing is, when you enter a mosque out of respect you should wear a scarf, the same goes for funerals. A hat would be not really appropriate.

But don't worry, so far I noticed they provide scarfs at the entry at many mosques. I remember I did not need to wear a scarf while visiting the Blue Mosque though.

Take a small scarf just in case...

And always you have to take of your shoes!

Enjoy yourself.

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mosque headgear

Hi Again: here is what Turkey Travel Planner has to say: turkeytravelplanner.com/Religion/mosque_etiq…

LL

5. Re: mosque headgear

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, August 21, 2009