We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too Much for one Day? How to take the Tram?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Topic
Too Much for one Day? How to take the Tram?

I'll be in Istanbul for only one short day! How disappointing! I am arriving on a cruise ship, and think I will plan my day by walking across the Galata bridge, eating those wonderful mussels LemonLady talks about , going to the Spice Market (yes, I am looking for the wondeful fragrances, thanks to LemonLady -vanilla is my weakness), and then walking along Divan Yolu (eating at the

yummy in the tummy place), and walking around the major sites in Sultanahmet.

Then I thought I'd spend the afternoon in Beyoglu and seeing a little of modern Istanbul. Then Winding my way back to the ship.

My questions are: is this too much to do in a day?

I don't plan to spend hours visiting each of the historic sites because I have done "tour" before, but I just want to walk by, view the beauty again.

Is it very far from the Spice Market to Sultanahmet (HIppodrome, Blue Mosque), and can I walk or should I take a tram?

I know I'll probably have to take a taxi or tram to Beyoglu, but don't know how the trams work and how much it costs/how to pay.

Also, are there any "don't misses" in Beyoglu? I'm a foodie, though I think at this point it may be obvious! Is Beyoglu the best pm choice, or is there a more interesting option?

Thanks so much!

Jeana

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Too Much for one Day? How to take the Tram?

Hi Jeana: I think you can do it. Taking the tram is a piece of cake, it costs 1.30YTL per ride. For Spice Market to Sultanahmet you take the tram at Eminonu (can't miss it) and get off at Sultanahmet. In fact the tram stops practically in front of the "yummy in the tummy place." Buy several jetons (tokens) at a time so you won't have to stop at the kiosk to buy more. To get back to Taxim, take Tram to Karbatas, then Tunel to Taxim Square. Taxim is the place to be before you wend your way back to the ship. Lively, full of people, shops and great restaurants. So many I can't name them. But a good choice is Haci Baba, on Istiklal Cadessi right across from the French Embassy. Don't miss the lamb and eggplant if you decide to eat there. After dinner go down the block and find Saray so you can bring some pastry back to the ship with you. Or you can go down to Boncuk for a great meal, 19 Nevizade Cad. Turkish/Armenian and simply fabulous. Lots of weird stuff on the menu, ie. brains, entrails too I think but other stuff is recognizable and filling. Also very inexpensive. If I had to have to dinner and then leave Istanbul I would eat here. Tell Orhan that Carol says hi and have a great time. Happy Travel, LemonLady

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Too Much for one Day? How to take the Tram?

Hi Again: I just wanted to tell you that when you go to Orhan don't limit yourself to vanilla. Smell all of the fragrences he's got there and he has some fabulous smells. Heidoftheroad and her daugher mention cinnamon, cocunut etc. But his citrus ones are lovely, my rose blew everyone away, and he can duplicate almost anything. Woodsy ones too. OOh I wish i were going to be there with you. I can't stand being away from Istanbul. But you'll be fine, Istanbul is really an easy city to navigate in. I always say, you can't lose me in Istanbul. If in doubt, ask, people will help, it must be the most helpful big city around. Happy Travel, LemonLady

3. Re: Too Much for one Day? How to take the Tram?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, August 13, 2009