We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turkish Film Festival in New York City

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Turkish Film Festival in New York City

Good People: i want to post some information on the Turkish Film Festival that is opening this weekend in New York. October 21 to 28, 2006. Forumites who live in the tri-state area might like to come down and see a film and eat a Turkish meal nearby, Frogs and Turks, Ali Baba or Turkish Kitchen are good choices. This festival is right near my home and I intend to go down and see one or more films there. I hope you can come and enjoy these films, they are showing " Crossing the Bridge" which has been mentioned on this forum. I am going down on Saturday at 4pm to see Babam ve Oglum (My Father and My Son ) so please come down and enjoy Happy Viewing, LemonLady

This year Istanbul, selected by the European Union as the European Capital of Culture for the year 2010, weighs in prominently in the festival. With films such as Istanbul Hatirasi (Crossing the Bridge), Anlat Istanbul (Istanbul Tales), Politiki Kouzina (Bir Tutam Baharat/A Touch of Spice), Iki Genç Kiz (Two Girls) and Organize Isler (Organized Jobs), we hope to present the many faces of Istanbul to New York's cosmopolitan audience, while allowing those of us who know Istanbul well to catch up with the overwhelming changes this dynamic city has gone through.

The festival opens with Babam ve Oglum (My Father and My Son) directed by Çagan Irmak, Turkey's young and successful filmmaker. Babam ve Oglum is Turkey's box office hit of 2005, seen by more than four million theatregoers. So don't miss it, and don't forget to bring your handkerchiefs!

For more information about the tickets/schedules and movies please click here,

External link http://www.moonandstarsproject.org/

Address

The Village East 181 Second Avenue

NY, NY,

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,889 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turkish Film Festival in New York City

Dear Lemonlady,

You will really like Babam ve Oglum. It certainly was a hit here in Turkey and bring your kleenex box. A bit of a tear jearker.

For those you attend have a great time :))

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turkish Film Festival in New York City

Hi CanMom: I am so looking forward to seeing these films and I hope they have a great turnout. The publicity for this event has been sparse, sad to say. I only found out about it from the Community Calendar attached to Tulumba, the online Turkish store, odd huh, nothing in newspapers, maybe the NY times had something but I didn't see it. Yes, they say the movie I am going to see is really a 3 box of kleenex film, but I intend to see others too, the one about the two girls appeals to me. I hope they will have a good turn out, I am emailing everyone I know to come down, Happy Day, LemonLady

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turkish Film Festival in New York City

Hi All: just want to tell you about the very fine lunch I had today with a TA friend of mine at a restaurant in Tribeca. If you are coming down to the film festival why not go over for some Turkish food (lunch or dinner) at Frogs and Turks. I had great mezze there today, cigars and a glass of my favorite Turkish white wine, my friend had delectable manti (lamb ravioli with yogurt sauce). It was the best manti I ever had in NY, made by a lady in Queens NY, it was 10 on the yummy scale, a little taste of Turkey right in downtown Manhattan. Owned by two very engaging brothers, Osman and Orhan it's a great Turkish experience right in New York City. Afiyet Olsun, LemonLady here's some info: www.menupages.com/restaurantDetails.asp…

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,164 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turkish Film Festival in New York City

Hi LemonLady,

Enjoy yourself at the festival!

I have the babam ve oglum waiting to be watched on dvd here! Will watch as soon as I find some time.

Is '2 genc kiz' (2 young girls) also being played there? Quite a nice movie about adolecent problems for 2 young Istanbul girls.

And is Fatih Akin around with a movie?

Please let me know what you have seen, I would like to hear what NY has to give on Turkey!

Have lots of fun.

Gocek, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Turkish Film Festival in New York City

Hi Lemonlady,

I hope you enjoy the festival.

Interesting to see that they're showing Bir tutam baharat/A touch of spice, which is actually a Greek film. I saw it in Madrid nearly a couple of years ago and enjoyed it immensely. I'd would highly recommend it to anyone who gets the chance to see it.

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turkish Film Festival in New York City

Hi Guys: I just returned from seeing two films at the Turkish Film Festival. The first film I saw was called "Waiting for Atif" by a young Turkish woman film maker Didem Yilmaz, it blew me away. It is exactly the kind of film I want to make. My Father and My Son was a great film, it worked on all levels. If you understand Turkish family life, it worked on that level, if you want an insight into universal family relationships, it worked on this level, I loved it. It really had an impact, there was not a dry eye in the house. Crowd pretty good for opening. Nice reception following opening films, dolmas and drinks. Dudisimo, I will try to see the film you recommended. The young people from the Moon and Stars organization who set this up did a great job, they are filled with enthusiasm and energy and made everyone feel welcome. As a film maker myself I can honestly say that these films should be seen in the US and Europe.They will go far to put Turkey on the map filmwise so to speak. I am going to try to get them some more publicity. The festival will close next Saturday night with Crossing the Bridge. I am going to try and get the Boro President of Brooklyn and fellow Turkey lover to come. The hours I spent viewing the films assuaged some of my homesickness for my beloved Turkey. LemonLady

7. Re: Turkish Film Festival in New York City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 pm, August 13, 2009