We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Picks - :Lunch In Istanbul

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant Picks - :Lunch In Istanbul

Good People: just a few suggestions for lunch in Istanbul. Of course the minute I got to Istanbul I headed over to my favorite lunch place on Diwan Yolu,#12. the venerable Tarihi Meshur Lokanta, bustling and friendly and in no time I was scarfing down the "blue plate special", meatballs, salad, white beans and rice, never fails to please along with a Bursa soda, it cost under 10YTL, I omitted the usual semolina cake and opted for pastry and a nescafe from the shop right next door. Went by Cennet, just as touristy as ever, fun for the first timer and gozleme (Turkish crepes) just as good according to the people who came out who I shamelessly interrogated. My new discovery occurred on a day when returning from Ortokoy where I had hoped to eat (alas my restaurant there Mor Fil was a victim of gentrification as was my wonderful pastry and ice cream shop ), feeling bereft I was attracted by aroma of wonderful food, a nice man stopped me at entrance and told me in Turkish and English that his food was "yummy in the tummy", which indeed it smelled like. Upon entering you are taken over to the food choices displayed hot, and you can choose from a host of favorites: beef stew, cigars, boregi, lamb, doner kepab, chicken all hot, excellently prepared, all salads are available too, I had my favorite cacik, and it was garlicky and wonderful, the drink of choice here is fresh orange juice and beer, I opted for orange juice, along with my beef stew, rice and cigars, the name of this wonderous place is Baran, and it's located at 54 Diwan Yolu, just tell them Carol sent you as I told them I was writing a post about them. The cost was about 13YTL and very worth it, a little high compared with other places but you get a lot to eat and it is a tourist area. The food is indeed as promised "yummy in the tummy" and I will eat there again when I return to Istanbul. Over in Taxim try TaximOda a modern cafe across the street from the Ataturk Statue Park, sleek and very New York in ambience it has excellent food choices including quite a nice Mexican assortment, I had a dynamite vegetable quesadilla, prices about 15YTL, worth it. Of course street food is a favorite of mine for lunch and one day I wandered over to the port and ate my favorite mussels on a stick along with an Efes beer, sooooo goood! Naturally I made it over to Mado where I regaled myself with lemon ice cream, it made my day complete.......more on dinner later. Afiyet Olsun, Happy Travel, LemonLady

London
Level Contributor
119 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant Picks - :Lunch In Istanbul

Dear Lemon Lady,

Baran sounds wonderful and I definitely want to try it out. When you give the address though, how do we find it? Are there maps available with the street names on? Is it in Sultan Ahmet?

Sorry for being ignorant,

Thanks, Katie

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant Picks - :Lunch In Istanbul

Hi K&J: no one is ignorant on the forum just temporarily uniformed. Getting around Sultanahmet and indeed all of Istanbul is easy. Diwan Yolu is the main street of Sultanahmet where the tram is. Easily located, near all hotels and easy to navigate. You can get a map on turkeytravelplanner I think but after a few days you will an expert on getting about..Be sure to look up Canadian Boys excellent posts on transport in Istanbul, very enlightening. Happy Travel, LemonLady

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant Picks - :Lunch In Istanbul

Hey LL, I just read on another posting of yours that you'll be returning to Istanbul in a couple of weeks. My work place just announced today the Eid (the Arabic equivalent of 'holiday') timing following Ramadan, though how, since that depends on the future findings of the Moon Sighting Committee (yes, there is such a thing here). A few days ago, a person of some authority claimed that in the UAE the Ramadan started prematurely as what was thought to be the crescent moon a few weeks back was actually a wisp of cloud, or something. Anyway, as we are getting our Eid early, and a whole week to boot, I may actually be able to meet you in Istanbul. If all goes well, I plan to be there 20-27 October. We can do Mexican in view of the Ataturk.

London
Level Contributor
119 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant Picks - :Lunch In Istanbul

Thanks for your help as always Lemon Lady, just been on Turkey Travel Planner, which is a fab website. Have you ever come across the Ararat hotel? Just found it on TTP and it looks fab. Would you say that one or Hotel Empress Zoe?

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant Picks - :Lunch In Istanbul

Hi Josefina: how I would love to see you in Istanbul at Eid time, whenever it is. I understand how they calculate it and it can be very difficult to determine which is a crescent moon and which is a cloud wisp. As usual my schedule here is very chaotic. My projects, very exciting are attracting some attention from tv networks and so it is based on those meetings that I have to plan my trip back. Right now it looks bad for two weeks from now, sob sob but that could change, I will email you directly when I know. Take Care LL

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant Picks - :Lunch In Istanbul

Hi K&J: I have no direct knowledge of the Ararat Hotel, it appears to be a small hotel, 11 rooms, near everything you want to see. Check out reviews on TA forum by putting in "Ararat Hotel" in search box. the one negative seems to be very small rooms, but check it out. Happy Travel, LemonLady

Level Contributor
1,475 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant Picks - :Lunch In Istanbul

LemonLady.

i like the idea of eating in those places you suggested. Seems like real fun -- just how me and the wife like it and we are pensioners. the price appeals to us as well. cannot afford all the 5* stuff.

I like to stop off for the odd beer or two and my wife a coke. Are there many places around the Sulhamanet area to do that. we will be staying in a hotel in that area. thinking of the dersaadet hotel.

So glad that there are knowledgeable people like you willing to share your experiences!!!

thanks, Pete

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant Picks - :Lunch In Istanbul

Hi All and Pete: lots of cafes all around Istanbul to stop in for the odd beer and coffee or a snack, just walk down Diwan Yolu in Sultanahmet, or Istiklal Cadessi in Taxim or the around the Grand Bazaar and Spice Bazaar. These places tend to be inexpensive, around the Hippodrome there are some nice places to sit and watch the world go by. I do it often. And of course rooftops are great, Sarnic Hotel has a nice rooftop place to sit and have a drink with a fab view, also why not go over to the Galata Tower, now there is a view, you can get a drink at their restaurant, Club 360 is a great place to hear music and see the view. Popular, crowded and more expensive than others it is worth a visit. Happy Travel, LemonLady

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,004 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant Picks - :Lunch In Istanbul

Hi LL!

Hope we can meet in istanbul soon!

I would really love to take you for a lunch in Ottantik. It is one of my favourite restaurants, not because of ambiance but the food is sooo good!

They serve traditional dishes, keskül which is included in a mixed dish of several ottaman's dishes.

The restaurant is very popular among the turks and it can be crowded and sometimes a bit smoky, but worth to go there!

Good appetite!

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant Picks - :Lunch In Istanbul

Hi All and VR: can't wait to get back to Istanbul and hope to lunch with you or dinner with you and drink with you there when you come back there. NY seems very flat indeed compared to my beloved Istanbul. This has turned into a really great thread with lots of picks mentioned. All hail, the intrepid TA posters, LL