We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kordon Fish Restaurant -Cengelkoy, Istanbul

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Kordon Fish Restaurant -Cengelkoy, Istanbul

Good People: At the new Sumahan on the Water Hotel in the Cengelkoy section on the Asian side of Istanbul there exists a very special fish restaurant that is truly worth a visit. Located near the Beylerbeyi Palace(Sarayi) on the Bosphorus at Kuleli Cad. #51 the Kordon Fish Restaurant can be counted as one of the great fish restaurants of the world. My husband the Pookie Bear and I have eaten fish all over the place, in New York, LA, New Orleans, Tahiti, Hong Kong, Paris and this special restaurant was one of the best. I only wish he was with me for this experience. Check out their website: http://www.kordonbalik.com, the celeberties of Istanbul eat here they say, their fish menu varies as to season. I visited this restaurant with a good friend of mine who lives in Ortokoy and who had never been there before. We started with appetizers, lovely hot and cold ones, I had the smoked salmon and he had the steamed shrimp, the fried squid smelled like heaven though, we also sampled the fish patty, and the cheese and pastrami pastry, yummers, for the salad course we had a huge shepherds salad (my favorite) but they have other choices available, we also had a small portion of potato salad which has to be the best I ever tasted, even my own homemade ones palls in comparison to this one. For the main course I had the striped mullet which was incredible (I am not usually a fish eater), my companion had the bonito, just coming into season. And of course we had dessert, among the choices were chocolate souflee, banana and cream, baked quince, and figs and walnuts with cream. This is what I had while my friend had the chocolate souflee, we had wine too, a lovely Turkish white. The ambience was lovely, Bosphorus view and all lit up, the perfect confluence of gastronomy and atmosphere. All this doesn't come cheap however, it is probably among the most expensive restaurants in Istanbul but don't be put off, dinners begin at about 50USD per person but this varies. So break open the piggy bank and go over to the Kordon Fish Restaurant, a reservation is a must, you won't be disappointed. Happy Eating, Afiyet Olsun, Happy Travel, LemonLady

Dallas
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Kordon Fish Restaurant -Cengelkoy, Istanbul

I'm hungry already! Thanks, Carol, for doing the delish review of KordonBalik. As a first-time Istanbul visitor in November, I can't wait to get to Sumahan and start working my way thru the menu. I'll have to cut financial corners elsewhere so as to enjoy the many offerings. Like you, in the past I was not a fish eater, but have learned to open up my culinary vistas. After all, good is good.

You have confirmed other opinions I have heard about the restaurant. Even if the weather is cold and rainy during my 5-day stay, I can sit by the fire in my room, watch the traffic on the Bosphorus, and, oh yeah, enjoy the fish at KordonBalik.

Do you have any thoughts about Sumahan? I know you were in the restaurant and perhaps didn't wander the hotel lobby of this small boutique hotel, but were you satisfied with the presentation and general appeal of the hotel?

Kind regards and thanks for all the fine information you give us,

Ruby

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kordon Fish Restaurant -Cengelkoy, Istanbul

Hi: you will love it!!!!The hotel itself is a little jewel, everyone is professional and service is super duper. Definitely would consider staying there. The Pookie Bear Husband is sad that he (the fish expert) missed out on this fabulous meal. I miss Istanbul and dream about it every night. LL

Dallas
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Kordon Fish Restaurant -Cengelkoy, Istanbul

I love the enthusiasm for your visit at Kordon and the hotel. So I'm ready to rev it up and rock-and-roll into Istanbul.

I have one full day in Sultanahmet planned with Ekol Travel which will do the tourist looky-loos and a Sufi ceremony. It'll be so nice to toddle "home" to Sumahan for r and r! The rest of the four days I intend to use in exploring Cengelkoy and the ferry system.

I'm interested in your comments about Baran, the "yummy in the tummy" place. I'll print out your notes and make an effort to get there. I'll surely not go hungry in Istanbul, thanks to you.

One question - you mentioned eating cigars. What is that reference?

Ruby

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kordon Fish Restaurant -Cengelkoy, Istanbul

Hi Again: I am hungry too, wish I had some food from lovely Baran, who we will now call the "yummy in the tummy place", cigars are fried cigar shaped dough filled with yummy stuff, most often cheese, although I have eaten some filled with spinach and cheese, sometimes lamb. You get a very large portion of these at Baran and believe me I was a member of the clean plate club. Don't forget to get over to Haci Bekir for candies, in Eminonu and Taxim, eat some ice cream at Mado, I ate myself into the beginning of next week in Istanbul, of course I ate the lovely pastry. Oh gosh I miss being in Istanbul, Happy Travel, LL

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
23 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kordon Fish Restaurant -Cengelkoy, Istanbul

Hi LL,

I have enjoyed reading all your postings as well as others. I have lots of notes and recommendations for our trip. We are leaving tomorrow. I would love to try this restaurant, but am wondering how best to get there. We are staying at hotel Nena.

Thanks!

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kordon Fish Restaurant -Cengelkoy, Istanbul

Hi VA: glad you find the posts helpful. Cengelkoy is on the Asian side of town and you need to take the ferry there. Since I give terrible directions it might be a good idea to email or call the restaurant for directions when you get to Istanbul or maybe our intrepid posters know. LL

7. Re: Kordon Fish Restaurant -Cengelkoy, Istanbul

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 am, August 26, 2009