We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip?

Southern Highlands...
Level Contributor
600 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trip?

I am looking at doing a day trip to Troy while I am staying in Istanbul can anyone suggest a tour company? Also I am looking at doing some day trips within Istanbul once again can anyone suggest any company or places that are easy to go to by yourself? I would prefer an organised tour instead of a private one as I am traveling by myself.

los angeles, CA
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip?

I've used sammytours.com. Not sure about any Troy trips but they are very knowledgable and can lead you in the right direction.

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip?

G'day Tams: Istanbul is a friendly city for the solo traveler. I have been there solo many times and have gone to lots of places alone. For a day trip I suggest a Bosphorus Cruise by public ferry. Lots of info on the thread "Bosphorus Cruise". Also Princes' Island, you can go about by horse and carriage, eat wonderful fish, also take public ferry. Or you might consider going to lovely Bursa, doable in a day. Take bus from the Otogar, see the lovely Mosque, Bursa is the center of the silk industry. Or you might want to devote a day to going shopping. Nisantasi district, Kadikoy, or go the larger malls, so helpfully mentioned by Efes911 in her post "Malls". My favorite day in Istanbul consists of going to the Hammam (Turkish Bath), then lunch on roof of Acropol Hotel in Sultanahment, then shopping both the Grand Bazzar and the wonderful Arasta Market, then tea and pastry and ice cream, then a rest, then dinner someplace great. Have a great time, Happy Travel. LemonLady

Southern Highlands...
Level Contributor
600 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip?

Thanks for you help I've booked three day tours - 1. Bursa and Cumalikizik, 2. Princes Island, 3. Two Continents which goes to the egyptian spice bazaar, cruise on the bosphorus, beylerbeyi palaces and Camilica Hill. I'm planning to go and see the Blue Mosque, and Topkapi Palace by myself.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,944 posts
457 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip?

would you mind tellng me which tour operator you are using? thanks and enjoy

Southern Highlands...
Level Contributor
600 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip?

I've booked these tours through the flight centres travel company - octopustravel.com

When I went yesterday we looked through nearly every single brochure they had on turkey and only one other company offered day tours in turkey and they were about half the price, however since I was traveling as a single they wanted to charge me for a double so I've opted for the other company.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip?

we are doing this trip next month:

www.istanbulvision.com/excuesions/t15.htm

It leaves Istanbul at 6:30 am and goes to Gallipoli and Troy and returns to our hotel at 9:30 pm.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip?

I am also planning to visit Istanbul and would like to do a day trip to Troy.

Any other suggestions please, with a visit to Gallipoli, but perhaps more emphasis on Troy?

Thank you very much.

Southern Highlands...
Level Contributor
600 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trip?

The drive down to Gallipoli and Troy is a long one, I would suggest that you look at an overnight trip. The company I booked with for a day trips, don't use them they didn't even show up for the tours and I am currently trying to get a full refund back from them.

A company which I saw alot of ads for is Plan Tours but don't know if they do any day trips down to troy and such.

Southern Highlands...
Level Contributor
600 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trip?

Ok the brain isn't working just yet (just got back from my trip) Found the tour company which provided the day tour in Gallipoli. Some of the large group I went on a tour of Turkey with also did the Troy tour and said it was very good. They do package tours from Istanbul and Seluck with an overnight accomodation, tours and return transportation. They also run during winter. The Gallipoli tour was very good and you got to see alot of the sights and didn't get rushed around which was something that I think alot of tour companies try to do. The guide was very informative and you got not only the view from the ANZAC but also the Turkish side of events. You visit both the war graves of the Australians, British, NZ and Turkish.

Hassel Free Tour Agency

http://www.anzachouse.com/package_tours.html

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Trip?

Thanks Tams in Oz

Hope you had a great trip? What other day trips did you take & were they good?