We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sariyer

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Sariyer

I loved Istanbul so much on my two visits to the city in 2013 that I have now booked a third trip for May 2014. I am looking for areas "off the beaten track" and have stumbled upon this link on the Şehir Hatları website...

sehirhatlari.com.tr/en/announcement/a-new-li…

Firstly, having already seen the Rumeli Hisarı and the Emirgan Park, is there much else to do or see in this area, particularly around the Sariyer port and the Black Sea coast? I am thinking about perhaps museums, picturesque areas in which to stroll, maybe some local culture.

Secondly, does this new ferry service accept the Istanbulkart as payment?

Thank you

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,561 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sariyer

Sarıyer is lovely,a nice quaint little place with some very nice sea food restaurants right next to the Bosphorus.

There are also some rather lovely old yalı's there and one of them is the home of Sadberk Hanım Museum which is really worth a look yet so many people miss it.

www.sadberkhanimmuzesi.org.tr/default.asp…

I'm guessing that whilst at Emirgan you also visited the beautiful Sabancı museum did you?

http://muze.sabanciuniv.edu/en

Alo, just north of Sarıyer is Atatürk Arboretum which is another lovely place to spend some time,esepcially if you want to escape the city for a few hours and/or you've seen all the major sites.

greenprophet.com/2013/…

Istanbul
Level Contributor
2,014 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sariyer

Sariyer is nice but I wouldn't say it's worth going all the way there if you only have a limited amount of time. The main things to do in Sariyer are eat fish and walk along the Bosphorus, which you can do in a lot of other places as well.

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,666 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sariyer

The ferry service up / down the Bosphorus (which accepts AKBIL / Istanbulkart or whatever it's called now) has always been for commuters. So it would come down the Bosphorus in the morning and go back in the evening (not so useful for tourists, hence the more expensive alternatives offered by touts near Galata Bridge.)

The new service you mention, OP, may reflect the fact that some students / office workers want to travel from Kadikoy (ASIAN side, please note) to Sariyer, which is actually a very large district now, including such places as Koç University, Işık Lisesi, and Maslak commercial area.

And there's the superb SADBERK HANIM MUSEUM at Buyukdere. Worth the trip for that alone. I suggest returning down the Bosphorus by local city bus.

Edited: 3:58 pm, March 07, 2014
Boston...
Level Contributor
72 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sariyer

We visited Sariyer on a day trip at the end of November and really enjoyed it. The Sadberk Hanim Museum is great -- interesting collection (some neolithic and less ancient objexts, remarkable Greco-Roman coinage, Anatolian decor and clothing, etc) in a charming yali buolding right on the water -- and was an easy walk from the ferry dock. We did a one-way fare on the Bosphorous Cruise and got off in Sariyer, and also enjoyed the scenic ride back to Kabatas on the 25E bus through other waterfront communities on the way back; But first we had a memorably good fish meal (very reasonable at lunch and right ON the water near the museum) at the oddly named "Canberra" restaurant. It was a great way to spend a day, enjoy the water, eat some seafood, see several parts of Istanbul, enjoy an off-the-beaten-path museum and try something diffeeent -- totally worthwhile.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,020 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sariyer

LPB, Bill has summed up the situation very well. A trip to Sariyer is well worth it. On the way back, it is best to board the bus 25E and get back to Kabatas. However on the way back, you can stop at Emirgan (Sabanci Museum and Emirgan Park), Rumeli Fortress (very historical attraction), Bebek (wonderful village on the Bosphorus) and Ortakoy (fun village on the Bosphorus). Here are the destinations: "http://goo.gl/maps/uckfG".

good luck,

enigma...

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sariyer

Thank you so much for your help.

I have in fact already seen the Rumeli Hisarı, Emirgan Park and most of the things along the route south of here, but it is useful to know that the 25E stretches all the way to Sariyer.

Can you confirm that the new ferry service I mention in my original post costs 1.95TL with the Istanbulkart?

Thank you

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,020 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sariyer

LPB, Yes you can use Istanbulkart for that particiular service you mention and the fare is 1.95 TL. "sehirhatlari.com.tr/en/timetable/price-tarri…".

enigma...

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
170 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sariyer

The entire district of Sariyer which runs from as south as Bebek to the Black Sea coast is one of my favorite districts in Istanbul. Every time I go there, I spend at least one week in this region. I used to live in Sariyer for a while as well.

As the previous posts made clear, Sariyer is famous for the Bosporus promenade, picturesque green hills, the many fish restaurants and the old wooden houses (in Turkish, Yalı).

The Sadbek Hanim Museum in Buyukdere as well as the Rumeli Hisari in Bebek are the main sights. Since you've already been there, I suggest the following:

- If you are interested in nature: hike/ run/ walk/ bike or whatever suits you to enjoy Belgrade Forest. Koç University is a fancy expensive private university located in the nearby. So many students got to live near the Forest and in the town of Sariyer. The town is booming and is being very fast urbanized but is modern compared to other regions. The forest itself has been classified under Central European Forests (meaning that you will be seeing the same trees there as those in Germany or Slovenia for instance). The forest has some trails which should make your outdoor activities easier. Some places in the forest are open for picnic as well. Emirgan Park was already mentioned by others. I like it a lot and is strongly recommended during the Spring season.

- If you are interested in sun (since you come from the UK): you can spend a day in Kumköy (a Black Sea resort town). The water temperature will be about 18- 20C, depending on how much snow had melt in Russia over the Black Sea. Laying down on the beach is enough for a joy, if water temperature thrills you. Mind you, it might get windy at times, overcast on some others, so better to check the weather beforehand. May is still early for beach, so many places might be shut down, except on (sunny) weekends.

- Interested in cosmopolitan life: Bebek for its "arts and cafes" lifestyle. You can stroll over the Bosporus and contemplate the ships passing by. Fish restaurants in Buyukdere and Tarabya are one of the best in the region. I usually like Mavi Balik in Arnavutkoy (2-3 Km south of Bebek in the Besiktas district). There are many art installations and lots of students in the area. But its not overcrowded, you would enjoy the atmosphere.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sariyer

Thank you to you all for all your help.

Am I correct in assuming that the new Kadıköy - Sariyer ferry service mentioned in my original post departs from the Beşiktaş / Prince's Islands pier in Kadıköy?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sariyer

The Sadberk Hanim Museum has eluded me thus far however I came across a few New Zealanders whom really enjoyed it & had nothing but praise for the place. The other places mentioned in this thread are all worthy of visiting as pretty much all the places up to Sarıyer are unique and offer a great insight in to the city & its past.

LondonParisBerlin, as of the start of this year that is precisely what has happened (only on weekdays)

sehirhatlari.com.tr/en/announcement/a-new-li…

Here is another hop on/hop off Bosphorus tour which stops by all the National palaces

pereme.com.tr/en_hop-on-hop-off-stopping-by-…