We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New riots in Istanbul

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
7 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
New riots in Istanbul

We are going to visit Istanbul from tomorow till Tuesday 3rd of March. We are a family of four and we are going to stay in Galata.

I am watching in TV the new anti-government protests and riots in Istanbul. Is there a reason to worry about? As fas as I know, things gat worse at weekends. Should I cancel the trip?

Thank you.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
38,173 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New riots in Istanbul

Kostas_A_GR, These are not riots but protests against the government. Just like protests in Greece aginst the Greek government for the last 3-4 years. No need to get worried about your trip. Just keep your schedule but keep away from any demonstrations.

enigma...

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
7 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New riots in Istanbul

Thank you very much. That's what I thought too.

As you said, us Greeks are familiar with protests, almost veterans.

Maybe we can even participate, to spice up our trip. ;-)

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New riots in Istanbul

LOL. Spice up meaning getting pepper gassed and watercanoned, sure you will be spiced up. You know pepper is a spice anyway :) joking aside, I'd strongly advise you to stay away from the protests.

Edited: 6:50 am, February 27, 2014
Istanbul, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
3,996 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: New riots in Istanbul

Yassou Kostas,

No need to worry. Part of Istiklal street btw. Galatasaray and Taksim square may host protests on weekend but you'll notice immediately from tear gas smell or police blockings. Just walk in other direction :)

Alper

http://locallypera.blogspot.com

Istanbul
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New riots in Istanbul

Don't cancel but I would stay away from Istiklal Street and Taksim end at weekends if I had children with me. Stick to Galata, Tunel and Eminonu areas. Morning are generally fine, so if you want to go to the square, go in the morning, especially on Sunday, when most locals are still asleep.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New riots in Istanbul

I visited Taksim & the Istiklal rd areas over 10 times in the past few months during the week, weekend, morning, noon and evening and didn't come across a single protest or riot. Perhaps I was in the right place & the right time.

There are better things to do in Istanbul rather than getting capsicum sprayed to spice up your trip.

For instance you can go to the Egyptian bazaar and get some nice spices.

But hey if you'd prefer to jazz up your trip by tagging along a riot or protest then go ahead.

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
7 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New riots in Istanbul

Thank you all very much.

In a few hours will be there, our friends for Athnes arrived this morning and are already having a great time.

Wasn't intending to take part in the protests of course, it was just a joke. :-)

Edited: 5:59 am, February 28, 2014
Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: New riots in Istanbul

This Sunday (March 2) , there will be a very big demonstration in Kadıköy square at 14:00 to protest the new animal law. Stay away from Kadiköy this Sunday. Be safe, enjoy your trip. Borus

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New riots in Istanbul

Enjoy your time in beautiful Turkey Kostas.

Come back here to tell us all about it afterwards.

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
7 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New riots in Istanbul

Any ideas where to park the car?

We are staying near Galata tower.

Edited: 10:26 am, February 28, 2014