We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

euro or lira

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
104 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
euro or lira

I know I can use euro and lira but which is best to use? Which will give me the best value?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: euro or lira

Romania has been a part of the EU since 2007. Their currency at present is lei however they intend to change to euros in the next few years.

Turkey isn't a part of the EU and only God knows if and when they will become part of it.

As I said if you want to pay for goods and services in Turkey in euros, go ahead but you will be better off.

If there wasn't a benefit to the seller why do you think they would quote their prices in a foreign currency and not their own?

In the old days when Turkey had a weak economy and their currency was weak it would make sense (case in Romania). However now Turkey has a much stronger economy and currency yet some local sellers still quote prices for hotel rates, private transfers, guides and tours in foreign currencies.

The reason apart from the old financial insecurity/stability is that those services are aimed purely at tourists so they want to cater to them.

12. Re: euro or lira

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:26 am, February 07, 2015