We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Bazaar & Hamam on eve of National Holiday?

singapore
Level Contributor
179 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Bazaar & Hamam on eve of National Holiday?

Hello,

I am planning to book air tickets to Europe, and am considering Turkish Airlines, which needs a 10 hr layover in Istanbul.(2pm to midnight)

I have access to the lovely airport lounge, but was thinking of spending the time at the Grand Bazaar & a hamam instead.

My layover will be on Monday 27 Oct 2014, the eve of a National holiday.

How will the traffic & taxi situation be?

Would the shops in the Grand Bazaar be open in the afternoon, till 7pm?

Would I have time to go to a hamam? eg Camberlitas or Suleymaiye?

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Best of Istanbul: 1, 2, or 3-Day...
190 Reviews
from $100.00*
Special Offer
Small-Group Istanbul in One Day Tour...
1,238 Reviews
from $72.25*
$85.00
Special Offer
2-Day Cappadocia Tour with Optional...
53 Reviews
from $250.75*
$295.00
Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
40,077 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Bazaar & Hamam on eve of National Holiday?

nyaheathero, Yes to both. You really have about 6.5 hours net in the city, at the Old City. You can spend about 3 hours at the Grand Bazaar and another hour or so at Cemberlitas Hamam and then even have time left to see the Blue Mosque. Grand Bazaar is open till 7.00 PM so go there first and then to hamam. At 9.30 PM you should take a taxi back to the airport for your international flight at midnight. Taxi costs about 45 TL.

enigma...

Edited: 9:01 am, December 28, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Blue Mosque
Blue Mosque
28,541 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
singapore
Level Contributor
179 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Bazaar & Hamam on eve of National Holiday?

Thank you for the info.

Is it easy & safe to just hail a taxi off the street after I finish with the hamam, or should I get someone to call a taxi to the airport?

Also, if hubby & I want to go to the hamam as a couple, then I visit Suleymaiye Hamam, correct?

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
40,077 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Bazaar & Hamam on eve of National Holiday?

nyaheathero, It will be better if the hamam calls a taxi for you. Yes, Suleymaniye Hamam is your only choice if you want to enjoy the hamam experience together. "http://www.suleymaniyehamami.com.tr/", and "tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g293974-d1…".

enigma...

Edited: 9:15 am, December 29, 2013
4. Re: Grand Bazaar & Hamam on eve of National Holiday?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 31, 2014