We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kumkapi district

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Kumkapi district

Hi! Have read that this Plaza location has very good fish and seafood dinning options. Also read of a need to be very mindful of Cheating with the bill in numerous restaurants. I would like to try a modest priced restaurant,we are two women and will be visiting next month.Can I have some knowledgeable feedback,as well as a few inexpensive dinning options in this location.Can I also have either walking or public transport options from Hotel Imga in Aksaray.

Thanks for your help

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
41,352 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kumkapi district

mbear, Kumkapi is about 1.3 km's or 20 minutes walk from Imga Hotel. The main street is Capariz street at Kumkapı. Here is the walking route: "http://goo.gl/maps/ttXYj"

Kumkapı Fener Fish Restaurant seems to get very good reviews. "tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293974-d1…".

good luck,

enigma...

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kumkapi district

Thanks enigma2007 much appreciated.Just another question,if using the metro from Ataturk airport is it the Aksarsy metro stop we get out to walk to Imga hotel...I am not sure whether this hotel is closer to this stop ,or is there a closer metro or tram stop to Imga Hotel? Would appreciate your thoughts on this as well if you don't mind.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
41,352 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kumkapi district

mbear, Imga Hotel is 10 minutes walk from the metro station called Aksaray. ıt is the last metro stop. Here is the walking route.. "http://goo.gl/maps/CRsKl". So just take the metro from the airport to Aksaray.

enigma...

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kumkapi district

Thanks so much for your help enigma ,much appreciated

Fethiye, Mugla...
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kumkapi district

Maybe too late, dont know if you found the Kumkapi area and hopefully you got on ok.

We found it by accident and were cajoled into the El Marina restaurant and told that they were cheaper than the others.

My sons chicken doner meat arrived in a packet from somewhere else and my prawn casserole was very average.

we were still hungry and asked if they has sutlac, rice pudding, normally charged around 6 tl .

this arrived a few minutes later in a bag, obviously from a suoermarket and was presented as it came in its aluminium foil take a way packaging.

when we got the bill we were charged 5tl EACH for bread, and water ( which was poured automatically without us requesting it) you can buy large water for 1tl and a whole loaf for 75 kurus.

there was a charge of 10tl each for the rice pudding and 5tl TAX.

i argued it, but they all surrounded us and looked manacing.

they told me the other restaurants would have charged the same.

they were all full of Turkish people, no way would they stand for such prices. They told me the tax is normal, and I told them i have been living in Turkey for 3 years and never seen it before, or in the 20 years I've been visiting.

Absolute disgrace.

Ive sent a review to Trip Advisor as theres no previous reviews of this particular restaurant but havent heard back yet.

Ive since heard similar stories of foreigners being ripped off in the Kumkapi area.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
41,352 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kumkapi district

Linda, Thanks for letting us know about this restaurant and what they have done to you. Here is their TA link: "tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293974-d5…". Make sure you write a review and let everybody know the full story.

enigma...

7. Re: Kumkapi district

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 02, 2014