We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What SIM card to buy for some mobile internet?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
70 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
What SIM card to buy for some mobile internet?

Often when I go somewhere on holiday I buy a local sim card with some mobile internet on it (500Mb or something) to use in my phone (Google Maps, Wikipedia, Translation, Tripadvisor, etc.).

What is a good SIM card to buy?

I've had a look at the Turkcell and Vodafone sites, but my Turkish isn't very good and Google translate isn't really helping me.

Does anyone have a good idea? And how much would it cost me?

Istanbul, Turkey
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What SIM card to buy for some mobile internet?

In Turkey you need to have an Turkish ID to have simcards, so I'm not sure if you can have regular tariffs There's a tourist package here: turkcell.com.tr/site/…tourist-tariff.aspx

But if you can buy any type of sim with your passport, for mobile data I recommend go to a Vodafone store, buy a "faturasız" simcard and choose on of those plans: vodafone.com.tr/Internet/faturasiz-mobil-int…

Istanbul, Turkey
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What SIM card to buy for some mobile internet?

In Turkey you need to have an Turkish ID to have simcards, so I'm not sure if you can have regular tariffs There's a tourist package here: turkcell.com.tr/site/…tourist-tariff.aspx

But if you can buy any type of sim with your passport, for mobile data I recommend go to a Vodafone store, buy a "faturasız" simcard and choose on of those plans: vodafone.com.tr/Internet/faturasiz-mobil-int…

Or likewise you can go to a turkcell store and buy a "faturasiz" simcard, then choose one of these tariffs: turkcell.com.tr/bireysel/Sayfalar/internet/c…

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What SIM card to buy for some mobile internet?

I am using AVEA 3G SiM, works great as two weeks short tip to Turkey. 55 TL for 1 GB and around 30 min call. I did in IST airport and took 1 hour to activated.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
75 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What SIM card to buy for some mobile internet?

I bought Avea simcard for my ipad at the Istanbul airport for 45TL and charge card for 10TL. Used the simcard in my phone first, as some SMSs needed to be sent. Got 1GB data valid for 30 days.

They cut and give you the sim to make it compatible with ipad (No charge). Sim card got activated in 10 minutes. The Avea person wrote and gave the instructions (SMSs to be sent ) for the Data Pack to be activated.

Avea has good coverage, I travelled extensively in the coast and to Cappadocia, faced no major issue. Further most buses have free wifi, so you can use that.

Mount Dora, Florida
Level Contributor
14,158 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What SIM card to buy for some mobile internet?

I buy a sim card every year and I do not have an Turkish ID. We use TurkCell because there are so many of them, literally one about every five blocks. We have been very happy with our service. You do need to present your passport in order to purchase the sim card, but no other ID is required.

6. Re: What SIM card to buy for some mobile internet?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:07 am, October 30, 2013
7. Re: What SIM card to buy for some mobile internet?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 10, 2014