We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need advice about stay,tour,transport in istanbul

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
need advice about stay,tour,transport in istanbul

Dear sir,

please guide me all about the visit, stay, transport & tour in & around istanbul.

we are family of 3 planning to visit istanbul for 5 nights 6days. we are indians, uae residents stating from dubai by pegasus airlines to istanbul in the month of june.

please adivce all about the hotel stay, price ranges, transport fecilities & please help me to make my tour plan for 5 days.

suggest some must visit places in & around istanbul & visit plans also.

thank you in advance.

latha pai

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,936 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need advice about stay,tour,transport in istanbul

lathapai, welcome to Istanbul.

First of all have a look at . "tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k4994…". If you qualify under those conditions, you can get an e-visa at "https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/". Otherwise, you have to get your Turkish visas from the Turkish consulate at Dubai. Your UAE residences do not qualify you for an e-visa (or a visa-on-arrival).

Here are the hotels list in Istanbul: "tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g293974-Istanbul-Hote…". The best is to choose among the top 20. I would suggest that you try the first one on the list first, the Neorion Hotel.

Here are the things to do in Istanbul for 6 days. "tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g293974-Activiti…". You will definitely enjoy the historical attractions at Sultanahmet, the Grand Bazaar, the Spice Bazaar, a visit to the islands, visit to Taksim/Istiklal street/Beyoglu, a full Bosphorus cruise, and a visit to Kadikoy (the asian side Istanbul): "tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k1844…", plus shopping at the wonderful malls.

Also check the FAQ's on the right of this page. There is also lots of info on transporation there. When you arrive get Istanbulkarts at the metro station.

good luck,

enigma...

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need advice about stay,tour,transport in istanbul

Enigma always provide great information. As a tourist that just returned from Istanbul I just want to give my viewpoint.

Istanbul is a walking city. It is very hilly and it can take a toll on you. The child - I am assuming is somewhat young, will s/he walk or on a stroller? What are your interests? If you want to do the usual museums, spice bazar, grand bazar you can do it all during this time period. Even if cost a little more I would find a hotel close to a tram station so if you get too tired you can always go back to the hotel and rest, and then head out again. If big into museums get the museum pass it is worth it. But it has to be done in 3 days. We opted not to get it and ended up spending more but we did it over a span of like 10-days. I remember after visiting Topakapi Palace we wanted to go to the Archeological Museum, but was too tired. Plus on that day we had only about 2 hours before it closed. Eventually when we went there we spent like 4 hours (of course it all depends on the level of interest).

Before I forget which airport are you flying into?

You can get a metro card from the Metro below the main airport (or even at SAW) or many other places through out the city. We got ours from the airport metro. Once you load it up you can just swipe it and go on. It is 1.95TL for the first segment and then discounted for transfers within a certain time. This is good for Metro, Tram, ferries, busses and the Havatas.

To go to the Asian side you can take a ferry from Eminanu to Kadikoy. To get to the new side you can take the tram to Kabatas and then the funicular to Taksim. While in Eminanu, check out the restaurants, the food carts (mostly fresh seafood), the spice bazar etc. Lots of good spices including saffron. Also, check out the streets, one with shoes only, one with plumbing stuff, another with antiques etc.

Taskim / Isktlal might be not for you with a child (again assuming the 3rd person is a child) but go at least once to experience it.

Hotels, as I mentioned before, get one close to a tram stop. We found one next to the tram stop, so we were able to go back get rid of the back packs and then head out to eat or just get to Sultanahment square. You just have to be patient and look for hotels prices as it seems to change daily. Luckily we managed to get some really good deals. If you are doing the mosques and Topakapi, grand bazar etc. it is best you stay within Old Town / Sultanahment.

It is very easy to go back and forth to the airport using public transport. A lot cheaper than a taxi or private transfer.

3. Re: need advice about stay,tour,transport in istanbul

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 11, 2014