We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it too hot to visit istanbul the first week of August?

Australia
Level Contributor
133 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Is it too hot to visit istanbul the first week of August?

My husband and I are looking to do a 5-6 day trip in the first week of August and were thinking of Istanbul. Will it be too hot to enjoy sightseeing in the morning and sitting by a pool in the afternoon? otherwise we were thinking of Cyprus or Crete...or any other suggestions.

Mentioned in this post
Cyprus
Cyprus
Europe
Crete
Crete
Greece
Best of Istanbul: 1, 2, or 3-Day...
173 Reviews
from $100.00*
Special Offer
Istanbul Day Tour of Sultanahmet...
1,230 Reviews
from $72.25*
$85.00
Special Offer
2-Day Cappadocia Tour with Optional...
53 Reviews
from $250.75*
$295.00
Special Offer
Istanbul 1-Day Private Tour: Blue...
193 Reviews
from $95.77*
$112.68
turkey
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Is it too hot to visit istanbul the first week of August?

Kalyon hotel at old city

La maison hotel along Bosphorus are along the water front with nice breeze.

Nejat

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,158 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Is it too hot to visit istanbul the first week of August?

This is not a question we can really answer for you. It depends upon your personal tolerance for hot weather. Certainly it appears that you enjoy warm weather as you are considering Cyprus or Crete, which are other hot weather locations in August.

I personally find August too warm in almost every place with the exception of the Pacific Northwest in the US. My husband, on the other hand, would love Istanbul in August. He is most happy when the temperature hovers in the high 90's. So regardless of where I am in August I am most likely to spend most of my time inside with the A/C turned on.

If I could not visit Istanbul in a less warm month, I would certainly be willing to visit in August. Any hotel you would consider would have good A/C, so you would be able to sleep at night. I avoid August more for the crush of tourists than the heat, but as Enigma points out, Istanbul residents leave the city in August so, while Sultanahmet may be very busy with tourists, other areas of the city are less crowded.

Mentioned in this post
Cyprus
Cyprus
Europe
Crete
Crete
Greece
Chicago
Level Contributor
5,571 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Is it too hot to visit istanbul the first week of August?

I wouldn't visit Istanbul during August due to the heat. Also, finding a hotel with a pool is a challenge as they are very few and expensive.

One year, I travelled to Turkey in early June and found it very warm during the day and warm at night. For me, that meant showering twice per day due of the heat and getting clothes laundered repeatedly.

14. Re: Is it too hot to visit istanbul the first week of August?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 06, 2014