We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Antiques and handicrafts market

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
158 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Antiques and handicrafts market

Does such a thu g exist in Istanbul? I am interested in some good pottery and other handmade work. Not the stuff you see in every tourist shop. Is there an area to visit that features these kind of stores? We are staying in Sultanamet and the quality and originality leaves a lot to be desired.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Antiques and handicrafts market

please read this post

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293969-i367-k64…

The most famous Pazars are;

Salı Pazarı of Kadıköy (on Tuesdays, Salı means Tuesday),

Çarşamba Pazarı of Fatih and Yeşilköy (on Wednesdays, Çarşamba means Wednesday), and

Cumartesi Pazarı of Beşiktaş and Bakırköy on Saturdays, (Cumartesi means Saturday).

**Sali Pazari in Kadikoy ” Every Tuesday ”

** Sali Pazari in Sehremini ” Every Tuesday ”

** Carsamba Pazari in Fatih ” Every Wednesday ”

** Persembe Pazari in Ulus ( More Luxury ) ” Every Thursday ”

** Cuma Pazari in Findikzade ( most recommended ) ” Every Friday ”

** Cumartesi Pazari in Besiktas. ” Every Saturday ”

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,004 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Antiques and handicrafts market

You will not find a lot of antiques on the normal markets, for good places İ advise to visit Bedesten, the oldest part of the Grand Bazar, with antiques.

Then Çukurcuma, near Beyoğlu is actually THE place to visit for antiques.

And at last have a read here:

guardian.co.uk/travel/2011/sep/14/10-best-an…

Good luck!

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
35,981 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Antiques and handicrafts market

Jane L, welcome to Istanbul.

For very good selections, I highly recommend the government GES store (GES for "Geleneksel El Sanatlari" or traditional hand crafts) at Eminonu. Here is its location: "http://goo.gl/maps/WMme9". And here is the website: "http://www.ges.gov.tr/en/urunler/". Thr prices aree very reasonable and fixed and variety is great. The address is: "Bahçekapı El Sanatları ve Kitap Satış Mağazası

Hobyar Mah. Şeyhülislam Hayri Efendi Cad. No:2/1 – EMİNÖNÜ/İSTANBUL"

good luck,

enigma...

S M
USA
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Antiques and handicrafts market

Are most of the stores/shops in Turkey do a lot of bargaining? Start at 50% less than asking price?

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
35,981 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Antiques and handicrafts market

No they do not. You only bargain at the Grand Bazaar.

enigma...

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,103 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Antiques and handicrafts market

You will not find any antiques in this store, but if you want really high quality items that are absolutely made in Istanbul you should visit the Armaggan store on Nuruosmaniye Street. Exist the Grand Bazaar at the exit near the Nuruosmaniye Mosque and walk two blocks, just past the mosque and into the pedestrian street. This shop is about 1/3 of the way down the street on the left.

There are four floors filled with amazing articles, all handmade in Turkey with Turkish raw materials. If you plan your visit at lunch time you can have lunch on the top floor at the Nar Restaurant, where you will have some of the best and most authentic Turkish food in the city.

The people behind this store are absolutely dedicated to restoring old Turkish arts and promoting those that still exist. They have some of the most lovely merchandise I have ever seen anywhere. This is a beautiful store to visit, even if you do not buy anything. Take a few minutes to check out the pure silk scarves and pashminas, as well as the ceramics.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,527 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Antiques and handicrafts market

Hi Jane - It is so true that you cannot be sure of the quality or authenticity of much merchandise unless you are an expert in the category in many markets throughout the vacation world. What made purchasing and bartering a more competitive, but fair, sport is going to www.tulumba.com which is a company in the US carrying authentic Turkish goods: jewelry, food stuff, music, rugs, etc. It arms you with the knowledge of what something should cost. I have purchased from here when I didn't want to worry about packing or shipping from Istanbul. All were shipped to me in excellent condition and this pre-trip exercise helped me to avoid being an insulting tourist to vendors with legitimate merchandise.

If you do a google search for Turkish products, you will see many that you can check items and cost which ultimately help immensely in determing your "shopping" budget.

Sharon

8. Re: Antiques and handicrafts market

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 04, 2014