We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Istanbul Itinerary with a 2 year old - Review required

Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Istanbul Itinerary with a 2 year old - Review required

Hello everyone

I’ve been going through all your valuable feedback in this forum and have come up with an itinerary. If you could have a look and let know your feedback, it would be very helpful.

I’m travelling with my wife and 2 year old daughter (using a stroller). We have 3.5 days for going around and will be based in a hotel in Sirkeci.

I’m especially looking forward to hear if the itinerary can be done with a 2 year old child in a stroller (especially in the bazaars). I don’t want to rush in seeing places just for the sake for seeing it.

Friday

Checking in to the hotel late night

Saturday

Topkapi Palace

Hagia Sophia

Blue Mosque

Arasta Bazaar

Sunday

Basilica Cistern

Grand Bazaar

Chora Church

Istiklal Street

Taksim (any other recommendation?)

Monday

Board the Bosphorus Cruise at 10:35

Reach Sariyer

Go around the Sariyer village

Take Bus 25E to Emirgan

Have lunch inside the park at Sari Kosk (Yellow Mansion)

Take bus 25E from Emirgan to Rumeli Hisari

Stroll around Rumeli Hisari

Walk from Rumeli Hisari to Bebek

Rest at Bebk for a while

Walk from Bebek to Arnavutkoy

From Arnavutkoy take the bus 25E to Ortakoy for dinner

Take bus 25E bus to Kabatas

Take tram from Kabatas to Sultanmhet

Late evening if possible, use the Hammam facility near our hotel

Tuesday

Reach Kadikoy by 9 am

Roam around. Lunch at Ciya

Return to hotel by 2pm

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,158 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Istanbul Itinerary with a 2 year old - Review required

Hi aloysiuspj, I think your plans may be a bit ambitious, particularly with a two-year old child. On your first full day I recommend that you be at Topkapi before they open the gate. Buy your tickets online in advance. Go directly to the harem and then to the treasury because these two areas become crowded most quickly. Then spend another 2-3 hours in Topkapi. Have lunch and a brief break for your toddler and then go to Aya Sofya. Again, purchase your tickets online to avoid standing in this line. You should budget about an hour or two in Aya Sofya. Following this attraction you can move on to the Blue Mosque and end your day in the Arasta Bazaar. If you can slip in a quick visit to the Cisterns after Aya Sofya it would prevent you from having to return to Sultanahmet on Sunday. There are some stairs in Topkapi that you will have to life the stroller over. There are a few steps in Aya Sofya, and a sizeable set of stairs into the Blue Mosque. The cistern is obviously underground so there is a long set of stairs down into the cisterns. None of these locations have elevators. I also do not think they would let you take your stroller into the Blue Mosque. Since people pray with their heads on the floor, shoes are removed as well as any other item that could track in dirt from the street. Those in wheelchairs, for example, have to transfer to wheelchairs that are only used in the mosque

Sunday is generally workable, except that the Grand Bazaar is closed on Sunday, so you will have to do that on a different day. The Spice Bazaar is open on Sunday, however so you might just want to substitute it. I am not sure where you would put it in another day. If you do decide to visit the Spice Bazaar on Sunday take a few minutes to also visit the Rustem Pasa Mosque located near the Spice Bazaar. Anyone can give you directions to this tiny second story working mosque with magnificent tile work. If you do not decide on the Spice Bazaar you might visit the Galata Tower near the bottom of Istiklal Street. I think Sunday is the very most crowded day on Istiklal so you will have lots of company as you stroll down the street. There should be few problems with the stroller.

Monday is a bit more active. You have quite a bit of walking scheduled and I am not sure how much of that walk will be stroller friendly. It has been several years since I have walked around Rumeli Hisari and I did not pay attention to stroller barriers. I hope someone with more recent experience and observation skills can provide some advice for you about this experience. I am not sure how much energy anyone will have left for an evening hamam.

Tuesday looks great. After lunch you might want to have a coup grillet. This is the best ice cream sundae I have ever eaten. You could order one and share it. I cannot remember the name of the place where you get these, but Enigma can provide the name and directions from Ciya. You will want to get an early start if you need to be back to your hotel by 2:00pm. I would try to take a ferry that left sometime around 8:30am to 9:00am. You can probably spend a couple of hours in Kadikoy before Ciya will open for lunch. You could take a ride around the area on the nostalgic tram and wander through the fresh food market. If you are up for an adventure you could spend 90 minutes at the famous Tuesday Market in Kadikoy. Most of the infrastructure here is fairly stroller friendly. You may have to lift the stroller over curbs, but you should have little difficulty here apart from the fact that it will be crowded and you will have to watch out for people in front of you.

Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Istanbul Itinerary with a 2 year old - Review required

Thank you busy-retired for such a detailed feedback. Totally appreciate it!

if someone else has anything to add, please do. Thanks again to all you guys. You rock :-)

Athens, Greece
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Istanbul Itinerary with a 2 year old - Review required

Hello aloysiuspj. Could you please give me a feedback about your visit in Istanbul with your toddler? i am going to visit the city on Friday with my 21 month son and I would appreciate some tips

Thanks

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
149 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Istanbul Itinerary with a 2 year old - Review required

I'm interested as well.

5. Re: Istanbul Itinerary with a 2 year old - Review required

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, June 26, 2015