We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel - Sultanahmet - 2 or 3 star

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
hotel - Sultanahmet - 2 or 3 star

Sultanahmet

I am looking for a cheaper hotel or guesthouse in:

Sultanahmet

This is my dream description;

Located in Istanbul (Sultanahmet), - close to Hagia Sophia, Basilica Cistern, and Blue Mosque. Also nearby are Hippodrome and Topkapi Palace.

This hotel is in the perfect location if you want to spend leisure time in Istanbul.

a few minutes walk from the major sights (Aya Sophia, the Blue Mosque, the Cistern, the Grand Bazaar, many museums). The area also includes hundreds of restaurants and stores and is on high grounds with many pedestrian alleys, which means pure air. It is great for strolls and walks and very scenic. In addition, other major touristic areas such as the Galata tower, the Bosphorus, the Dohlmabace Palace, Taksim square and Beoglu are very easily accessible by the very efficient tramway nearby.

While the place was a prison in 1920, it was probably the grounds of the palaces of Emperor Justinian and other dignitaries in the ancient city of Constantinople.

The staff is unbelievably friendly and helpful and the services are top notch. We had some maintenance related noise in the room,

. From early evening to late morning, the room was extremely quiet.

I would like to go on day tours , and be picked up at guesthosue or hotel. I would like them to arrange transport from airport.

i will be one lady, over 60 travelling by myself, anm not fussy, but would really like a bathroom to myself.

I like friendly staff with smiles aand happy children playing.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,554 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel - Sultanahmet - 2 or 3 star

Haa haa,you don't want much do you :) Take a look at-

Şebnem Hotel

Tulip Guesthouse

Med Cezir Hotel

Bonjour Guesthouse

Hotel Sapphire

Minel Hotel

Apricot Hotel

Hotel Peninsula

Hanedan Hotel

All fulfill a majority of your wish list and all are reasonable prices.Importantly all are small,warm,clean and friendly!

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,819 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel - Sultanahmet - 2 or 3 star

Your described hotel might be the Four Season - and hmm, it is a little bit pricier:-))

But all the hotels suggested by sarikanarya are in the same area or close by, and at least I can recommend the Sebnem (prices have gone up a little bit), Hanedan and Peninsula (both just from a closer look at the interieur).

I suppose that you won´t go wrong with none of them.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel - Sultanahmet - 2 or 3 star

Would it work out better financially to book a five day " Istanbul package Tour" which would include the hotel transfer, the accommodation, breakfasts, tours for 3 full days?

And then after thar, book the smallest cheapest cleanest room in a tiny guesthouse?

It is my first visit to Istanbul, . As a lady over 60 I will be travelling by myself.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel - Sultanahmet - 2 or 3 star

I saw Nayla Palace and Sefa Hotel on hotel search .

Both in Sultanahmet.

Any comments?

I cannot figure out if it is one price for the room,

Or double for two people.

If it is one price for the room, is there a discount as only one person has breakfast? Or do they pack the single person a picnic lunch as she is paying for her ( not there) partner's breakfast? Are you following me....?

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,819 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel - Sultanahmet - 2 or 3 star

Normally you will book a single room, so that you just pay for you. Sometimes you will get a double room for only one person though. Did you ask for a double room?

Here is the price list of EG Peninsula

www.hotelpeninsula.com/peninsula/rates.htm

Maybe a package tour might be less expensive but I don´t have any experiences with it, at least not in Istanbul.

Edited: 8:41 am, March 29, 2013
Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
28 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel - Sultanahmet - 2 or 3 star

Hi Hermiena,

Maybe you can check Modern Sultan Hotel. It's in Sultanahmet, only walking distances from Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Hippodrome, Topkapi Palace and Bassilica Cistern. I came to this hotel twice (my last visit on last month, I spent 6 nights in this hotel). For single room, I paid 40 euro per night. This is small hotel, but very clean and the price is reasonable. The most important thing, the staffs are extremely friendly. I felt more like a home than hotel due to its athmosphere. Good luck.

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotel - Sultanahmet - 2 or 3 star

I would suggest book somewhere like the Peninsula, Naz Wooden House or Sebnem - all budget choices in the heart of Sultanahmet (and some will do a complimentary one way transfer (ie pick you up from the airport - and it is easy to arrange a transfer back), and then self guide using something like the DK Eyewitness Guide. You can always hire a guide outside some of the sites if you prefer.

Book directly with the hotel as that way you can negotiate transfers, room upgrades, discount for cash etc.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,103 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hotel - Sultanahmet - 2 or 3 star

We have spent hundreds of days in the Apricot Hotel. Although it is small and modest it is in a great location and the staff is terrific. Breakfast is outstanding. You should contact the hotel directly and request a rate for only one person.

9. Re: hotel - Sultanahmet - 2 or 3 star

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 31, 2014