We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Istanbul - Umraniye

Lisbon, Portugal
4 posts
Save Topic
Moving to Istanbul - Umraniye

Hello everyone,

i won an internship in a company based in Umraniye, Istanbul near Yukan Dudullu mahallesi i think, but i'm having those worries that everyone has when they don't know the place. I'm a 25yr old guy going alone to Istanbul, i enjoy playing sports, drink a beer with friends in the end of the day, partying on weekends.. that kind of thing everyone does on their twenties. My question is how's Umraniye? Boredom can be an issue? Is there any nightlife? Approaching girls can be a problem? I read it's a very conservative area. I know it's far from all those touristic places from Istanbul and i'm not going to have a car so, how's transportation? Do they work well? Is it expensive going from Umraniye to Sultanahmet or Taksim?

I'm sorry if i sound ignorant but i'm really trying to learn as much as i can about this particular place ;)

Thanks for any answer

Turkey Travel Consultant
City Tours, Multi-day Tours, Boat Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Day Trips
Limousine Plus
Taxis & Shuttles
Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
39,928 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Istanbul - Umraniye

tjgp, welcome to Istanbul.

Here is Yukari Dudullu neighborhood of Umraniye District on the map: "http://goo.gl/maps/mJBNB". It is at the Asian side Istanbul and is a mixed residential and industrial neighborhood. It is true that Umraniye is a somewhat conservative district of Istanbul but you can find restaurants and bars there. Bus 19D goes from Yukari Dudullu to Ust Bostanci close to Bagdat street: "http://harita.iett.gov.tr/en/?hat=19d". Bus 14A goes from Kadikoy piers to Yukari Dudullu. "harita.iett.gov.tr/en/index.php?hat=14A". And bus 14ŞB also goes to Kadikoy but also to Ataşehir: "harita.iett.gov.tr/en/index.php?hat=14%C5%9EB". There will be gyms where you will be located.

It would be nice if you had a car, because Istanbul is a big city, bus and rail systems networks are also very extensive. Here is the rail systems network in Istanbul: "…wikimedia.org/wikipedia/…29.png". You will learn the neighborhoods as time goes by. I suggest that you rent a place to live at Atasehir, Bostanci or maybe Kadikoy area. Cafes, bars, nice restaurants are abundant at Kadikoy but especially at or around Bagdat street. So if you can take one bus to your work, that would be nice.

Let us know the name of the company so I can show you on the map where it is. Istanbul will bring new vision, friendships and vigor to your life. You will find your ways to meet new friends of both sexes, so do not worry about that.

good luck,

enigma...

Lisbon, Portugal
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Istanbul - Umraniye

hello enigma,

first let me thank for your answer, you are a blessing for this website :) So far i can't say what company it is cause it's not official yet and i still don't know where i'll be lodge so i can't give details so far. One thing is right, you gave me less things to worry about ;) After some burocracy things, i'll update this post and i hope i can count on you for all other questions i have. Once again, thank you Enigma ;)

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
39,928 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to Istanbul - Umraniye

tjgp, Thank you for the kind appreciative remarks. Whenever you need me, I will be here.

good luck,

enigma...

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,453 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to Istanbul - Umraniye

Yes, in my perception Umraniye is the more conservative part of İstanbul, it seems they are not stop building huge new mosques in that distraict (but in some good architecture). There are not many foreigners in that area, so boredom could be an issue. Nevertheless, İstanbul is catching up with so many big cities in the world, old apartment blocks are being demolished and new very modern ones are rising like mushrooms.

İ am a foreigner being on and off in İstanbul, but İ am not alone. But İ do think İ would not feel happy on my own in İstanbul, the language issue (but İ am learning Turkish finally), traditions, interests. Still as a young man İ think it is very good to accept the challenge, Umraniye has modern parts as well. Explore, meet people, like Enigma says, Kadiköy is lively (with students), Bagdat Street is lively with pretty girls :-), İkea is very lively with families having cheap lunch, you are pretty close to the Bosphorus shores etc etc. You could join some club perhaps, courses, or if the company is big that is of course your first key to make friends.

Wish you good luck!

Edited: 10:18 am, March 08, 2013
Lisbon, Portugal
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to Istanbul - Umraniye

Thank you VillaRhapsody for your aswer as well, i was checking that maybe living near the coast like Kadikoy, Goztepe, Bostanci, Fenerbahce, with some international students would be the best choice but i also checked that the traffic is chaotic and to do 10km +/- i'd take almost an hour to get to my workplace. Still, i'd rather wake up one hour earlier if i'd live in a place full of life ;)

Another question, how much you guys think it cost to live in Istanbul p/ month without lodging?

Thanks guys ;)

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
39,928 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving to Istanbul - Umraniye

tjgp, Since you indicate you are from Lisbon here is the comparison of cost of living between Lisbon and Istanbul: "expatistan.com/cost-of-living/…". (just click on individual items to see some differences). Entertainment and transportation is less expensive in Lisbon, while especially personal care products are more expensive. Overall the cost of living in both cities are just about the same. Of course all these numbers will highly depend on the individual's lifestyles. One thing for sure gasoline at the pump is very expensive in Turkey so you are perfectly allright not to own a car. Use public transport, and get yourself an Istanbulkart (transportation pass) on the first day of your visit.(at the airport metro station).

Here also are some sample prices for frequently purchased products and services: "numbeo.com/cost-of-living/city_result.jsp…". I checked them and most of them are pretty much up to date. Again these are average prices and brands differ in their pricing.

I agree with you that you should live in those fun neighborhoods for better social life, but should not rush into a decision till you get to know the neighborhoods.

good luck,

enigma...

Edited: 1:36 pm, March 08, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
Lisbon District, Portugal
Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,453 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moving to Istanbul - Umraniye

Well İ guess it does not need to be a permanent decision, once you know the city better you could move. And you are right about time traveling, İ also always made that sacrifice while İ lived in Holland. İ lived in the south and worked in Amsterdam or Haarlem, which involved at least 1 hour traveling on the most smooth days with no traffic jams. İ did that for more than 10 years.

And as for the traffic in İstanbul, some days are not too bad, when the weather is horrible it suddenly turns into a nightmare. We drive a lot while we are in İstanbul, İ notice that in the mornings the jams are up to the Asian side and in the evenings the other way around.

The main jam between coast and Umraniye is around the Kozyatağı junction. You think you are stuck forever and then suddenly all moves. Once you are there, you will be so quickly get used to the public transport and İ have to admit İ never use buses in İstanbul.

For living is so hard to say. But grocery shopping is mainly much cheaper than in Europe, that is Holland and Germany. İ am not familiar with Portugal. As long as you stick to Turkish produce it is cheap. Alcohol is expensive even in the supermarket. Fresh fish is not very expensive, chicken is cheap, beef is okay, lamb is the most expensive meat.

You can eat very cheap in restaurants, it is actually a habit to have lunch in the city near the work. Lokanta food (steam table with a selection of all sorts of every day fresh cooked dishes) is very cheap.

İstanbul is a very lively city, there is lots going on, of course it has a great history, and it has a modern life as well. İt might be a bit overwhelming in the beginning but once you have settled and get the hang of it it is a fantastic city.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Germany
Germany
Europe
Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,158 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moving to Istanbul - Umraniye

I am not familiar with this neighborhood. Isn't this the general location of the Ikea Store? Isn't this also the location of the big Marriott Hotel? I think there is a huge new mosque in this area as well. If I am thinking of the right area it seems as if there were some very new apartment complexes in this general area. I know we talked about living in this area because so much of the area was new construction and quite modern.

I do agree that it would be beneficial to have a car if you live in this area because it is more than a brisk walk to the areas where you will find general entertainment, unless walking through Ikea counts as entertainment for you.

Istanbul
Level Contributor
2,568 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moving to Istanbul - Umraniye

I agree with enigma and the others...Umraniye and Dudullu are boring places far from the sea. I would not live there if you paid me.

Definitely try to live somewhere else even if it does mean travelling. Kadikoy or Bostanci would be good choices for you.

There is an extension to the metro under construction that will run from Uskudar to Dudullu but it's not going to open for a few years unfortunately.

Lisbon, Portugal
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Moving to Istanbul - Umraniye

I can plan my stay in Istanbul much better ;) Thank you guys!