We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportaton in Istanbul

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Transportaton in Istanbul

Hello All, we are planning to visit Istanbul this March and looking to stay somewhere near the Ataturk International Airport area. I am aware that its around 20 kms to the city but not sure how efficient the transportation services are. Could I get a daily travel pass or would you advice to stay somewhere closer to the city? Thanks in advance. Indy

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,567 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportaton in Istanbul

Indy, welcome to Istanbul.

Is there a special reason why you want to be so close to the airport? There is metro and tram combo to the city from the airport but that takes about 50 minutes. Rather than doing that, I suggest that as a first timer, you stay at Sirkeci or Sultanahmet areas to be close to historical attractions and transportation hubs. To get a better idea about the transport system, have a look at the following thread: "tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k5538…". You should get an Istanbulkart and load it with fares and use it on all public transport. "…iett.gov.tr/Eng/NonPersonalizedCards.aspx…".

good luck,

enigma...

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,138 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportaton in Istanbul

Hi Indy, I am just going to echo Enigma's post. I cannot imagine why anyone would want to stay all the way out by the airport. If you are traveling to Istanbul to see the city you will lose two hours every day just getting into the city and back to your hotel. Rather than selecting from hundreds of restaurants for your meals, you will be confined to what is available in or near your hotel.

Occasionally when we are traveling if we have an early morning connection we stay at a hotel near the airport, but we never do that in Istanbul. It is very easy to make an early morning connection from anywhere in the city. Traffic is light before 6am. There is no appreciable advantage at Ataturk to staying near the airport, and you will miss so many simple adventures like walking around the little streets of Sultanahmet, sipping tea in a cozy tea house or selecting a little restaurant with great food.

Obviously if there is some pressing need for you to be neat the airport you will have to manage public transportation and budget two hours every day to get into and out of the city, but if at all possible, I would certainly stay in the city rather than near the airport.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportaton in Istanbul

Thank you Enigma and Busy-retired, thank you very much for the reply, I was going through some holiday packages and found out that some hotels near the airport have better deals during the month of March. I am a very newbie to the city so dont have any idea about the transportation, hence enquired about the possibilities. I am going through the above mentioned link now and yes now realise how dumb my query was :-)...thank you very much for the help! Kind Regards,

Indy

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,138 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportaton in Istanbul

Indy, There is no such thing as a dumb question. A person who has never been to Istanbul cannot be expected to understand the distance between the airport and city center, and you certainly cannot predict what type of neighborhood you would be in were you to stay at a location near the airport. Your question was certainly legitimate.

How would you have known how much time to budget to reach the city and return every evening?

Don't apologize. We are just happy to help you make this important decision.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportaton in Istanbul

Thank you everyone, I have now booked my tickets to Istanbul for 5 days-4 nights!.

6. Re: Transportaton in Istanbul

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, May 09, 2014