We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Istanbul Hotel Advice Please

New York City
Level Contributor
287 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Istanbul Hotel Advice Please

Hello,

I will be traveling to Turkey for my honeymoon in July. For Istanbul, we are deciding between both Four Seasons (although they're slightly out of the budget) and Hotel Amira.

While we like the luxury aspect of the Four Seasons, I hear mixed reviews about the Bosphorus. and,if we're going to splurge, I want it to be worthwhile. Regarding boutique hotels, we like the local feel of them compared to the Four Seasons. I feel like we won't get the local flavor staying at a Four Seasons hotel. ie - the complimentary breakfasts, service, etc. Does anyone have feedback on either Four Seasons or the Amira or perhaps a different hotel I may not have mentioned?

I've already looked at many (Istanbul Edition, Sultania, White House, Witt Istanbul Suites, etc)

thanks in advance!

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,944 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Istanbul Hotel Advice Please

Congratulations on your forthcoming wedding!

For something as special as a honeymoon, have a look at the Hotel Sumahan on the Water - in a converted raki distillery on the shores of the Bosphorus. I have not stayed there so have no personal recommendation, but reviews here on Trip Advisor are good and I remember reading about it when it first opened a few years ago. The only possible drawback is that it is on the Asian side and so a bit of a trek (well trip by launch!) to get to the main sites - but the place looks spectacular!

Rockville, MD
Level Contributor
20 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Istanbul Hotel Advice Please

We spent our anniversary at the Four Seasons Sultanhamet a few years ago. Wow. Best experience we have ever had. Only 65 rooms so it has the feel of a boutique hotel. Every member of the staff greets you by name. Their rooftop terrace has views of the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia and the Bospherus. They will send you by water taxi to the four seasons on the Bospherus to use the pool or spa. The concierge made us a reservation at a local restaurant for dinner. We got an entirely different meal than most of the tourists, no menu, they just kept bringing trays to select from. We are going back this fall and have already reserved our room. It is expensive, but it was worth it.

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Istanbul Hotel Advice Please

The Four Seasons Sultanahmet is in the heart of the Old City and very well located only a minute away from the Haghia Sophia. I think that would give you the 'local feel' more than the Four Seasons Bosphorus would - and be an amazing place to spend a honeymoon.

Also have a look at the Empress Zoe (almost next door to the 4S's) - it doesn't have the same facilities but it is both lovely and very quirky. They have some amazing suites (I spent my honeymoon there).

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
38,494 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Istanbul Hotel Advice Please

jlblock, Why don't you try the No.1 rated hotel in Istanbul, the Neorion Hotel. Not only it is the highest ranked hotel in Istanbul by travellers, but has an excellent location also in Sirkeci, at the old city. Our respected DE, Busy-retired stayed there and here is what she has to say about Neorion Hotel: "tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g293974-d215…". This hotel has also been awarded the honors of being one of the top 25 hotels in the whole world: "tripadvisor.com/TravelersChoice-Hotels-cTop-…". However for all the quality of service and luxury of being a boutique hotel, its rates are half that of Four Seasons. And finally here are the restaurants at Sirkeci area around this hotel: "www.sirkecirestaurants.com".

enjoy Istanbul,

enigma...

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,469 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Istanbul Hotel Advice Please

The Four Seasons Hotel in Sultanahmet isn't just a beautiful hotel, as GTTDs indicates, you'll get a local feel staying in Sultanahmet because the Four Seasons is in the heart of the Old City. I've had dinner at the hotel, as well as, nice glasses of wine while the piano is played, before going out to dinner. I bet you'll love this hotel.

What's nice about staying in Sultanahmet is that the city's major sites are all just a few minutes away. If you stayed in a different part of Istanbul, you'd have to walk, take the tram, or grab a taxi to reach all the sights.

I hope you have a great honeymoon and a really nice trip to Istanbul!

Edited: 6:00 pm, January 30, 2013
New York City
Level Contributor
287 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Istanbul Hotel Advice Please

thanks so much everyone for the feedback!

New York City
Level Contributor
287 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Istanbul Hotel Advice Please

Neorion looked like a wonderful option but I checked the rooms and they're only 20sq meters which is a pretty small space for 4-5 nights.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,366 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Istanbul Hotel Advice Please

The Four Seasons is an amazing property....go for it. Besides....where else can you say thay you have stayed in a former prison!

Edited: 11:04 pm, January 30, 2013
9. Re: Istanbul Hotel Advice Please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 01, 2014