We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Istanbul to Greece- possible for 3 days?

Florida
Level Contributor
418 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Istanbul to Greece- possible for 3 days?

Is it possible to go from Istanbul to Greece for 3 days? I can't locate any 'threads' here on the subject. Would like to see a few islands or historical sites then return to Istanbul.

thanks-

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
167 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Istanbul to Greece- possible for 3 days?

For 3 days? when? by plane it can be useful in summer, there is also some cruise ships but this is not the season, and for historical sites and visiting islands both; you should spend more days,

Arek.

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,417 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Istanbul to Greece- possible for 3 days?

You have several options! Many of us have travelled from Turkey to Greece using the ferry. Take a look at Aegean Ferry Service goeurope.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm…

A few options include: Cesme to Chios; Kusadasi to Samos; Bodrum to Kos. Ferries are on different schedules during winter and summer, so it depends on when you're travelling and which islands you'd like to visit. Sometimes it makes more sense to fly to Athens then fly to a Greek Island.

Edited: 6:31 pm, January 29, 2013
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Istanbul to Greece- possible for 3 days?

Hi Flgafl - I do know that at mid-May, there is an early flight out of istanbul to Athens with a reasonable connection with Aegean Air direct to Santorini that gets you on the island early afternoon. This is the easiest and fastest connection to this showcase island.

Sometimes I think often the thought is to try to "squeeze in" either Istanbul or Greece once travelling that far from the US. HOWEVER, 3 days will not give you the opportunity to experience Greece at all. You will be spending most of that time just in transit and getting to and from hotels. The Greek islands and Athens require at least 7 days if you want to do both. And only one island will never be enough! Athens, itself, requires no less than 2.

If it is beach and beauty you seek for a couple days, or historical ruins, there are 3-4 day excursions to parts of Turkey that will undeniably fit the bill.

Ephesus? Capadoccia? the southern coast w/clear Mediterranean waters?

You will be awed with just Istanbul and when you return, you should plan on stopping in Greece as well.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,742 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Istanbul to Greece- possible for 3 days?

flgafl1, Just like Sharon says, I would fly to Athens early morning, see the city one day, take a ferry trip or a flight to Santorini or Mykonos and stay for two nights and return back to Istanbul. For flight alternatives and airlines, you can use "www.aerobilet.com". I would recommend Turkish Airlines for you.

enigma...

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,197 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Istanbul to Greece- possible for 3 days?

Hello flgafl1,

you do not need to go to the Greek islands to see historical sites, there are so many more impressive sites in Turkey (Not including Athens here of course!).

Perhaps it is a good idea to see at least Ephesus, and from Kusadasi you can take the ferry to Samos, more for a Greek island feeling can historical sites. Or fly to Dalaman, then either from Fethiye or Marmaris you can take a ferry to Rhodes, old Rhodes town is very impressive and a visit to Lindos is like being on Santorini. İf you have time left do take a ferry from Rhodes to Symi, not yet on a lot of tourist's list but stunning!

Hope this helps, good luck!

Edited: 5:15 am, January 30, 2013
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
410 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Istanbul to Greece- possible for 3 days?

If you have only 3 days,

you have to choose between islands or stay in Athens,

to do both you do not have so much time, you will spent a lot of time, going to airports wait for flights instead of spending your time to relax in a beach of the island or sight seeing in Athens.

If you decide to stay in Athens you have the option of the one day cruise, to have a taste of 3 islands,

if you decide to go in an island and you will take an airplane you can go to Rhodes or in a sort distance by highspeed ferry from Athens is Paros and Naxos

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,132 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Istanbul to Greece- possible for 3 days?

With only 3 days I would stay in Turkey. If you were already in southwest Turkey in a place like Kusadasi...you can get over to Rhodes easily.

There is so much to see and do in Turkey...take advantage.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,742 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Istanbul to Greece- possible for 3 days?

flgafl1, In fact staying in Turkey is also a very good option. There are so many places to see at Selcuk/Ephesus area. Have a look at my very recent trip report, based upon a personal travel experience: "tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k5874…".

good luck,

enigma...

9. Re: Istanbul to Greece- possible for 3 days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 01, 2014