We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overstayed Visa

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Overstayed Visa

Hi Guys, need some advice..

I went to Turkey last year around May 28th and returned September 10th or something around them times, over all i overstayed my visa around 18/20 Days,

When i arrived at the airport i asked a women at the desk for some advice and she told me to just carry on checking out and when you get to the desk where they stamp your Passport and let you through to continue with your flight see what the man says/advises, i thought i would get a fine to pay and a ban or one of the other, when me and my friend approached the desk in nervous panic the man stamped both of our passports and let us straight through without no say about anything? So i think we was lucky or would he put it on the system for when we arrive again?

I want to go back to Turkey May 1st for a long holiday but i am worried they will not let me through when i arrive at Dalaman or would there be a problem or fine even though he mentioned nothing about it when i left back in September, i only just turned 18 at the time..

I want to set of for a long holiday and they won't let me through, i'm a massive worrier! I hope someone can help me with this.. Thank you!

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overstayed Visa

I do not think you overstayed your visa last time.Under the new rules introduced last year you can stay a maximum of 90 days within any 180 day period.

Assuming you entered on 28th May your visa life would not end until near the very end of November.Of course it could be that you spent longer than a total of 90 days in all here in Turkey,but you don't say how many days you stayed on each visit.

If you had overstayed then the passport control would defo have picked it up!Look at the entry and exit stamps in your visa and try to work out the dates(if the stamps are legible!)and then count up how many days you actually spent here.Your entry and exit days also count into the total.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,128 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overstayed Visa

Hi sophiaellen d, Over-staying your visa is generally addressed when you exit the country. Generally you are required to pay a fine. If you do not pay the fine you are often prevented from entering the country for a period of time.

It rather sounds as if the official responsible for checking your visa when you departed Turkey simply missed the fact that you had over-stayed the visa or decided to let you slip through. In your own words you were simply very lucky.

No one can tell you whether you were entered into any computer system that will flag your passport when you next enter Turkey. My best guess is that the official who processed you when you left either over-looked the situation or made a decision to let you through. I would, therefore, assume that he did not enter anything about your over-stay in the computer system.

I am not sure if you want to pursue a formal inquiry of this issue. If you have managed to escape a fine for over-staying your visa I do not know if you wish to call attention to this fact now. I think I would just go back to Turkey and hope that no one will notice. You would be most vulnerable when you receive your new visa stamp. I expect that this officer could look at your previous visa stamp, note the arrival and departure dates and figure out that you over-stayed your visa. I have, however, never seen any visa officer pay that much attention to the passport before they stamp it.

Other forum participants who have more experience with over-staying a visa may have different ideas or more specific directions for you.

I did this once, and I over-stayed my visa, unknowingly for many months. Leaving the country was exceptionally difficult and very expensive, so I always encourage people to make careful note of the dates of their visa. Most of the time, this can be a serious offense. I think you were very lucky.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,297 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overstayed Visa

sophiaellen d, I think you overstayed your visa around 15-18 days (assuming your stay in Turkey during summer was continuous). The police officer at immigration might have missed it or simply ignored it. However they do record your entry dates to Turkey and departure dates. Therefore you might be faced with fines on your re entry but again that is iffy. But do not worry, I do not think there will be any deportation or anything like that. When you arrive this May you will be getting a new visa anyway, so there is no need to worry about.

good luck,

enigma...

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overstayed Visa

Thankyou this has helped! x

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overstayed Visa

Thanks for your help! Has put me to ease.

Been worrying for months so i guess this is the best option..

Would it be safer to get a new passport so the stamps are not shown or would that not make a difference?

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,297 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overstayed Visa

Sophie, It does not make any difference, because they check their computer records.

enigma...

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,128 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overstayed Visa

Getting a new passport was my first idea, but on second thought I reasoned that if they did have a computer record of your arrival and departure dates a new passport might compound your problems by making you appear elusive.

I am sure you are going to worry about this until you are safely back in Turkey, but I agree with Enigma that you should just take your chances. I assume there was no wink or nod between you and the visa agent who supervised your departure?

I am not really comfortable suggesting ways to avoid punishment for doing something that violates the laws of Turkey, but I would just try not to worry. The worst thing that could happen is, I believe, a fine. I do not think they will turn you away. In the future you should be very careful about not exceeding your days in Turkey. People who over-stay for even a day have had to pay a fine. There is rarely any latitude for this offense.

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overstayed Visa

I hope everything shall be Okay! Thanks for your help!

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,128 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Overstayed Visa

I am slightly nervous about providing this information. Please recognize that none of us any formal education in immigration law. We are only evaluating what you tell us and trying to provide our best guesses on what happened to you and what you can expect when you return.

I still do not think I would worry, but we cannot guarantee that you will not have any problems. I just do not want you to blame either of us if our opinions are not correct.

Trondheim
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Overstayed Visa

The answers given here are incedible. The officer on leaving Turkey last time has approved of your last stay being in order both de facto and de jure. That has nothing with any computer record to do. You are free to reenter Turkey without any problem of course.