We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need some more info for Ephesus day trip from Istanbul

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
6 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Need some more info for Ephesus day trip from Istanbul

Our family(with 2 kids at 7 and 9) is planning to take a day tour from Istanbul to Ephesus using a tour company. My wife thinks that might be too stressful for kids. I read some posts mentioned that flight leaves Istanbul around 7 and could not find the time for going back. Can anyone share some details about the time lines for the day tour? How long do we get to spend at the sites?

Some posts mentioned that the group tour takes people to carpet or leather factory. Is there any tour company only go to the historical sites? Thanks in advance for your input

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,856 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need some more info for Ephesus day trip from Istanbul

Alex C, welcome to Istanbul.

There are numerous flights every day from Istanbul to Izmir and back. Use "www.aerobilet.com" to see the schedules and fares. Siimply take an early morning flight to Izmir from Ataturk Airport and return by an evening flight around 9.00 PM. that would be a day trip. If you use Atlas Jet or Onur Air, you will get a free shuttle transfer from Izmir airport to Selcuk and back. Have a close look at my very recent trip report to Selcuk/Ephesus. "tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k5874…". It is best to get a guide from Selcuk. Here's a guide named Hakan very strongly recommended by Ephesus travellers: ""tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g298005-d2…".

good luck,

enigma...

Pamukkale, Turkey
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need some more info for Ephesus day trip from Istanbul

Dear Alex

I'll be upfront and say that I'm responding from the perspective of a tour operator in the Ephesus and Pamukkale area - I can give you information based on our timings / programs - most companies are fairly similar.

Firstly, Enigma is right - this is something you could do yourself, although with children you may prefer knowing that someone is going to meet you at the airport and not having to worry about catching a taxi between each site.

Most of the tours visit Ephesus, Virgin Mary's House and the Temple of Artemis and include lunch. Some include St John's Basilica as well although these are usually a little bit more expensive, purely because the entrance fees are more expensive. Most of the tours spend at least 2 hours at Ephesus itself.... Most of the tours finish around 4pm and then either transfer guests back to their hotels or the airport.

It is true that some of the tour operators include a visit to a leather or carpet factory - in our case, we check with the group whether anyone is interested and then decide whether or not to visit accordingly. I wouldn't be too put off by this - most of the leather and carpet places are actually very informative (and often entertaining) and are usually located in beautiful surroundings, so even if you are not interested in buying anything and others in the group are, there is usually somewhere pleasant to just sit and chill out. I am certain that you will leave feeling that you've gained some knowledge about these industries if nothing else... In particular, many people are eager to look at leather in this area because it is one of Turkey's major production centres... I'm not trying to sell you anything here - just trying to alleviate any concerns. Unfortunately, if operators are not up front about going to visit these places, then some guests can feel uncessarily pressured.

As for the flight back - many of operators book guests on the 1940 Atlasjet flight back to Istanbul which arrives back in Istanbul at 2035. Of course, this is not a hard and fast rule.

Anyway, I hope this helps, best wishes for your trip.

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
6 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need some more info for Ephesus day trip from Istanbul

Enigma and Adem, both of your posts are very helpful. I have to say Enigma's post made my decision to go with a tour wavered a bit. Another question though. How is the traffic from Istanbul Sultanahmet area to the airport? How long does it take by taxi?

Thanks a lot

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,856 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need some more info for Ephesus day trip from Istanbul

Alex, It only takes about 25-35 minutes by taxi from Sultanahmet to Ataturk Airport and the approximate fare is about 40 TL. You should make your own plane reservations and save a lot of money that way. If you want, you can also get a guide at the entrance to Ephesus for about 60 Euros (just for that attraction) or get an excellent audio guide from the museum for much less.

Ephesus is 3 km's from central Selcuk and you can either get a taxi or a dolmush (shared van) from central Selcuk to Ephesus. It is a short ride. If you also want to visit Virgin Mary's home, you can get a taxi at Selcuk to take you there, wait for you as long as you want and take you back to town, all for 60 TL.

good luck,

enigma...

5. Re: Need some more info for Ephesus day trip from Istanbul

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 16, 2014